Safety - Outside the shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
I think everyone here knows that safety is paramount with our hobby. But what about outside the shop in everyday life?

I have a young son who is in a constant state of motion from the time he wakes up until his head hits the pillow at night. As with all boys that are active, there are the bumps and bruises that go with growing up. We've all been there! My son has been riding a bicycle since he was three (with training wheels), and from day one we put him in knee pads, elbow pads, gloves and a helmet. Some of our friends told us we were taking the safety equipment with him over the top. Today they are reconsidering... Every time he mounts his bike, the equipment is on.

Over the weekend, my son wanted to ride his bike. He has had his training wheels off for about nine months now, and he is pretty good. As with everything he does, it is full speed ahead, and riding his bike is no different. So, he was right in front of our house riding his bike when he took a very nasty tumble. He was moving at a pretty good clip when he lost his balance, got crossed up and was literally throw down to the ground. His only injury was a small scrape and bruise on his left cheek.

Upon looking over his safety equipment, I was startled to see what kind of impact his head could have taken in this incident. His helmet has been cracked through three of eight ribs that make up the front half of the helmet. His knee pads saw a large and deep scrape in the plastic that would have easily taken quite a chunk off of his knee. His gloves took quite an abrasion, and his elbow pad took some punishment as well. Fortunately, his body didn't!

DSCN3308.jpg

DSCN3309.jpg

He was shaken up pretty badly over this last spill, but he is okay. The helmets run about $40 here in the states which is one heck of a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER. My little one took one serious hit, but the equipment did it's job and protected him. Had he not been wearing head protection, this story would certainly be different! With the helmet and all of the other stuff, I think we have about $80 in his safety equipment. It has easily paid for itself several times!!

I am passing this along to you so that maybe your kids or grand kids may benefit from my son's accident and what could have just as easily been a serious head injury or worse. Think about their safety, and especially now that we are quickly approaching the holidays!

W/E,

I hear what your saying, BUT, and it's a big but. Are you teaching him that wearing equipment will make him safe. What would happen when he gets to driving age. Will he put on his helmet and knee pads and drive his car full blast head on into mine and not worry about getting hurt.

It's a fine line that we're talking about here between getting hurt and protecting your child. But at some point he's going to have to learn that no matter what he wears he could kill some one else or himself.

I don't want to start an argument here on safety. Like I said it's a fine line.

I took a few spills on my scooter and bike. It hurt, but it taught me to slow down.

Regards,
Bernd

My kids were NOT happy when the local laws required helmets for bicycles here.
I have a couple damaged helmets here as well but no damaged heads.

A few year ago the state of Pennsylvania decided that motorcycle operators over the
age of 18 were no longer required to wear a helmet.
I'm 3 decades past that age but while my bike is warming up the DOT approved
helmet is going on.

One of the guys at work has a brass plaque on his tool box that reads:

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Too often it DOES!

Rick

Bernd said:
Are you teaching him that wearing equipment will make him safe. What would happen when he gets to driving age. Will he put on his helmet and knee pads and drive his car full blast head on into mine and not worry about getting hurt.

It's a fine line that we're talking about here between getting hurt and protecting your child. But at some point he's going to have to learn that no matter what he wears he could kill some one else or himself.

Bernd, excellent points! Yes, we have discussions regularly on any safety gear along the lines of this "helps" to keep you from gettng hurt, but the best way of not getting hurt is to avoid having an accident.

You are correct in that safety equipment can give a false sense of security. For those who wear it as well as those who make those wear it. There never will be a piece of safety equipment as effective as the one between the ears!

Rick, here in Texas the laws don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets. Why anyone would want to ride without one is beyond me. Growing up I rode every type of motorcycle and ATV imaginable and rarely with a helmet on. Same with a bicycle. Now, I don't even mount the bicycle without a helmet on (my son watches me; lead by example, and plus I don't heal that fast anymore and when hurt, it seems to hurt more...)! I figure I have been luck all those years, and sooner or later the law of averages will catch up...

rake60 said:
A few year ago the state of Pennsylvania decided that motorcycle operators over the age of 18 were no longer required to wear a helmet.

I grew up just north of Pittsburgh. My first ride was a HD 45 - suicide clutch & tank shift. It was supposed to have a sidecar, I think, but this one wasn't so lucky. Anyway, that was an adventure to learn on and the nice people at Bell were responsible for me not spilling my brains all over the highway more than once. I can't ride anything with two wheels now (inner ear problems that bring about vertical stability issues :)) but were I to find a trike or reverse trike just sitting around unloved, I'd have a brain bucket on in a heartbeat ... even though Hawaii doesn't require one.

What I find sad - well, one of many things - is that people can look at the most horrific accident and say "That can't happen to me." ... then find out that it can.

Best regards,

Kludge ... mumbling mindlessly as usual

A prime example of the problem is the folks that buy a 4 wheel drive SUV and then can't understand
why they get stuck in a little bit of ice or snow with their idiot driving. :-(
...lew...

A few year ago the state of Pennsylvania decided that motorcycle operators over the
age of 18 were no longer required to wear a helmet.

way to go Pennsylvania! With abundant food supplies. excellent medical care and lifespans for all well past child bearing years, without forward looking laws like this evolution would all but cease. :D

Latest posts

Back