What's Your First Project of the New Year?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a modified version (Scaled up by approx 50%) of Bill's Rotary Beam engine. Also need to make a Tailstock Tap & Die holder. Unfortunately work is going to get in the way :(

Well, I got my "first" project out of the way. The die filer/bench filer is cranking away. I'll run a separate thread on that. I picked a small project just to get off on the right foot. ;)

first job... hide all the evidence of last year!

finish the table for the band saw so i can mount that
finish the filing machine
finish the tapping jig
make some racks to take the small collets ( ER25)

unpack the metals and get them all sorted and put into racks, ( 4-5 tons ) racks yet to be made

build a sandblast cabinet
move my tempering oven and put a new cover on it

buy or build a chemicals locker

oh! and make some engines somewhere along the line!

cheers

jack

I'd follow Bob's example but I only have two fresh bottles of Jameson's and my coffee would miss it terribly. ;D

Anyway, the ongoing project of the moment is gathering some tools and cleaning/reconditioning others. I mentioned all that metal that came in so I now have to find space for the metal cutting bandsaw I don't have. Yet. Or something, given the shop space I don't have. (Saber saw with a metal cutting blade? Reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade? Neighbor with very sharp teeth?)

The Taig's not quite where it should be but it's getting there (still needs a little Bon-Ami & oil) and the watchmaker's lathes still need to be finished and replated. Yeah, I know. The 8mm is kind of pretty already but the rust etc on it (and the 10mm) are not good and the 6mm still needs to be finished. The bed surfaces are fine; it's the rest that's not.

OH!!! And to fix the #$%^&* horn switch on the Jeep. Again. Since the Jeep is always open, water gets in and the contacts rust, a situation made worse by salt air. Every time the safety check comes due, I have to open it up and derust it and spray more contact cleaner on it so it'll work for most of the year until the safety check. It's not difficult, just tedious to the point that I'm considering electroplating the contacts with a good base of nickel & copper then finishing off with gold ... lots of gold. :D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back