what type of oiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydelott

Reaction score
hi i am making a model marine engine the plans have no oiler but the picture on the front does what type of oiler should i use its not going to run live steam just air i seen one that had wick oilers on top of the clyinder head it looks like that would work really well for my application but it seems like after spending so much time making the cylinder air tight to drill a hole in the top seems like air would want to push up threw the oiler but i dont know this is my first one an im not an engineer

an oiler on the cylinder head of steam engine seems odd. usually steam engines have in line oilers not needed if running on air. they do sometimes have drain cocks at the ends to drain condensate again not needed if running on air.
oilers are sometimes uses on bearings. usualy on air engines just a oil hole on the bearing shaft is all that is needed. a drop of oil in th intake is all that is needed to lube the piston.
an introduction please when you get a minute.
Tin

my name is Andrew Aydelott i an i live in east tennessee i am a student at the Tennessee Techonolgy Center At Harriman taking Machine tool Techonolgy i have started making a Model Marine engine From scratch a former student got from a book its not very detaled but its coming out really well every part is with in .001 its taking awile an the brass and bronze cost a lot for a lowly student :D

i just ordered an in line oilers for air tools thank you so much

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the group. Good luck with your Machine Tool Technology course. I bet it is really interesting.

When you get a chance, you might post a few photos of some of your parts and tell us a little more about your model marine engine. Is it a single cylinder or multicylinder?

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

hi i am making a model marine engine the plans have no oiler but the picture on the front does what type of oiler should i use its not going to run live steam just air i seen one that had wick oilers on top of the clyinder head it looks like that would work really well for my application but it seems like after spending so much time making the cylinder air tight to drill a hole in the top seems like air would want to push up threw the oiler but i dont know this is my first one an im not an engineer

Hi Andrew,

I doubt that the wick oilers on top of the cylinder head have anything to do with cylinder lubrication. They are most probably placed there to let gravity do its work and allow lubrication of such things as the crosshead and crosshead guide. For cylinder lubrication with steam, if oil is required, the easiest way is to use a displacement lubricator.

To go a bit further, if saturated steam is used and the cylinder and piston/rings are of either cast iron or bronze then water from the condensation of steam in the cylinder provides more than adequate lubrication of the cylinder and rings. This is more important when the condensate from the engine is returned to the boiler.

For a reciprocating engine supplied with true superheated steam, (which is dry), then a cylinder lubricant is essential. Again for engines returning the condensate to the boiler the oil should be heavy straight mineral oil which can be more easily separated from the water. If exhausting to atmosphere then emulsifiable cylinder oils are used but these must be injected mechanically as oils which contain an emulsifier do not work correctly with a displacement lubricator.

I hope my long winded response is useful.

Best Regards
Bob

i tried to post some pictures but its saying that it bigger the 3 mg so it wont work i dont know what to do any help?? thank you

Quite a lot of early engines had "fat pots" on the top of the cylinder which may be what you have seen.

These were filled with animal fat and the heat of the engine melted the fat it became liquid, at this point the pot was opened to the cylinder but had a lid so all the oil was not blown out.

As the fat dripped into the cylinder it lubricated the piston, you could use the same set up for modern oil.

i tried to post some pictures but its saying that it bigger the 3 mg so it wont work i dont know what to do any help?? thank you

Reduce the size of each picture to 800 x 600 pixels and you should be OK.

Best Regards
Bob

I finely go some pictures posted thanks for the help check them out

thanks for the help i got the pictures posted check them out

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back