What size is your garage and garage door?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredepeterson

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first house when he returned from Afghanistan and I'm curious how big garage you all? I work at a 12x20 and it sucks, I can not even bring my truck, if I wanted to. I want a garage I can pull the truck without folding mirrors and more room to work around the truck. I think I will have a 30x32 garage to a place of work space, and have a parking space for trucks.

My garage is about the size that Kvom says. It generally works OK.

In my community, there are restrictions on the size of garages, so unless I would move, I am pretty much stuck in terms of maximum size. I am also stuck in an area where I can only have a single driveway, so my garage is good as a shop, but not so good for parking daily drivers.

I have a collection of architectural and house-planning books, and the best recommendation that sums up garages is that you should plan for a space big enough to park each vehicle in question with one of the doors open and still have enough room to easily maneuver around it on all sides.

If possible, the height of the ceiling should be high enough to also allow for a higher door for higher vehicles and still allow for clearance above the open door so that lighting and other things can be on the ceiling in the area where the door travels when open (For a roll-up door).

If you can find a realtor in your area who works for buyers, you might be able to explain some of your desires to that person and they might help you find what you want. In my area, sometimes listings have the notation "Mechanic's Garage" to indicate that the property may have a larger garage, 230Volt garage wiring, exhaust fans, extra storage, beam for hoist, etc.

And lastly, take a 50-ft. tape measure and a flashlight with you when looking at houses.

--ShopShoe

I would look at Hangar Doors for large
This type of door is typically low cost and comes in very large sizes.
I have my self made doors from 20 foot wide and 10 foot tall to as large as 450 feet wide and 85 foot tall. I sold my business back in 2004.

Dave

I am looking to buy my first house when he returned from Afghanistan and I'm curious how big garage you all? I work at a 12x20 and it sucks, I can not even bring my truck, if I wanted to. I want a garage I can pull the truck without folding mirrors and more room to work around the truck. I think I will have a 30x32 garage to a place of work space, and have a parking space for trucks.

Hi

I live in the country with lots of room to build. My shop's main bay is 24' x 32' with a 18' x 32' loft attic for storage. 12' ceilings with 12'x12' door. Very well insulated and is heated with a heat pump as well as a wood stove. I live near the base of Mt Saint Helens, long cold winters.

Mark T

Shop.jpg

You lot must live in North America!

My single garage, which I consider to be lucky with, is 18 x 12 ft. It has been converted to be my workshop and the car lives outside.

There are many guys in England who's homes frequently do not have any form of garage and they make do with a 8 x 10 ft wooden shed in the garden as their workshop.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I also had size restrictions. A detached shop maximum is limited by the county according to the size of the lot. An attached shop can be larger. I also had to comply with homeowner association covenants. Luckily when I had the attached shop built the attachment point was close to water and sewer connections, so the upstairs has a full bathroom and a potential living quarter. Downstairs heat is radiant in the slab, with mini-split AC on both levels.

Since the house has a 2-car garage originally, I rarely need to park a vehicle in the shop.

Just going to put this out there guys - the OP is just looking for back links from his post. Look at his sig line - links to a custom garage manufacturer - he's just a spammer.

It would be nice anyway to restart a new thread about where you do all your machining and making things, not just for a boasting factor, but it may give people ideas that they may be able to use in their shops.

My shop is like a bomb site at the moment, but over the weekend I will get a few choice piccies taken to help get it started again.

John

I have a 25x35 attached garage with two 9' wide doors.

This works out as room for my wife's car, my "toy" car ('65 Corvair). The rear 10' of the garage is the workshop.

The shop portion can be a bit cramped (12x36 lathe, Medium mill-drill, CNC mini-mill, and a 4x6 bandsaw) Yet I consider myself fortunate to have the space I have and a significant other that puts up with all the mess, swarf, etc. in the garage and dragged into the house.

...Ved.

Good Idea Blogwitch.

I would like to mention that Keith Rucker at VintageMachinery is building a new shop and posting updates on Youtube. Go to Youtube and search his name.

He is going for 42 X 80 ft with lean-to storage attached. Half metalworking and half woodworking. I can't resist checking in on this project regularly to see how he handles everything. Of course, he has has also gotten a lot of comments about how it will become too small too soon.

And then Tom Lipton has his living quarters in the warehouse building that houses his shop. Youtube again, search Oxtoolco Shop Tour. If only my wife would agree that I could do that.

--ShopShoe

Lest you think I'm remiss. You'll find my shop if you search "Shopshoe's Shop" on this forum. I've done a few updates since then and posted them separately.

--SS

SS,

I have already started the post

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?p=278406#post278406

A 42 x80 ft??? I wouldn't know my way around something that size.

Here in the old country, we tend to use smaller builds for our shops or convert what is already there, sheds, garages or even outside toilets. Few people, such as myself, only have just enough room to build a smallish (by US standards) workshop.

John

I work out of my unattached garage. 24x36 with 18x12 high door. I would like to had more room than what I have now but the city says NO. The only time I've a vehicle in my shop was to paint the welding bed on my 97 Dodge rig and also to put Lincoln Sa 200 welding machines in trucks or take them out.

Latest posts

Back