what is your opinion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like the one I have on my mini lathe.
Works pretty good. Could use more tool holders is all.
Gary

Luc,

Although I do not have that specific QCTP I do know several people that do. I have heard nothing but good reports in regards to the quality and value of the product.

The only bad report a friend has made is the material being aluminium and if the dovetails are not cleaned properly there can be damage done due to steel denting the surface. I assume that this is operator abuse and not a case of an inferior product.

At that price I would say go for it.

Baz.

In my oppinion a QCTP on a 7*12 is as useless as a heavy,middle age male on a Harley Davidson.
Make Your own tools and drive a real motorcycle.
I did.

Neil ----- guest who is the heavy, middle age male and what
model of Harley Davidson he drives and he's far from being useless.

ANSWER it's ME

Next time,you might want to check how to spell "opinion" before making
any poor judgement remarks. :rolleyes:

That fact that I do drive a Harley, kind of show that I can afford to buy
QCTP and enjoy the hobby

IMG_0049_1.jpg

Hi Luc,

I have that A2Z QCTP. I've been using it for over a year now, and I'm pretty happy with it. It works will for the size of jobs that are done on these mini-lathes.

Todd

I
In my opinion a QCTP on a 7*12 is as useless as a heavy,middle age male on a Harley Davidson.
Make Your own tools and drive a real motorcycle.

IE that tool is quite useful.

seriously I have one of the A2Z they work fine and are well made. I am in the process of making three more.
And IMHO a qctp is usefull on any lathe and should be considered as one of the first upgrades to buy.

The wedge styles are nice and better indexing. I looked at the OXA at cabin fever If I did not already have the AXA Size and the A2Z I probably would have gone with it .

I do not like the knurling tools that come with these kits I prefer scissor type knurls less lateral force on the lathe bearings.

tin

I

IE that tool is quite useful.

And IMHO a QCTP is useful on any lathe and should be considered as one of the first upgrades to buy.

I do not like the knurling tools that come with these kits I prefer scissor type knurls less lateral force on the lathe bearings.

tin

Tin I totally agree,

When I purchased my AXA QCTP the first thing I did was throw the knurling tool in the bottom of my tool box never to be seen again.

the tool post was definitely the first upgrade to my 7x12 machine.

The smaller lathes do struggle to knurl with this particular type of tool. Can't be good for the cross slide and screw either, being a quite small thread and all.

Luc,

Yeah nothing wrong with cruising on a Harley, try sticking to the speed limit with ya leg over a Ducatti or a similar, they are just asking for a throttle full. ;)

I purchased the Tormac version of this tool post from LMS at Cabin Fever last spring. It's the same size but all steel construction. I love it! A little more expensive but worth the difference. I have since purchased a couple more turning tool holders and made several more from aluminum for such things as dial indicator, a ball bearing type nudger, and a spring winding tool. I also made my version of a tangential tool for the holder. Again, I love it and think it's probably the best accessory investment I've purchased for my 7x14 Micromark.
Chuck

As for the differences in alloy and steel, I'd agree with Chuck because I have one in hardened steel. However, I bought this in a silly period when I believed in what people told me.

I did a bit of research- using my grey matter rather than theirs- and found that there isn't a lot of difference between something that was made out of 3 bits of steel stuck together with a few bolts and an all singing all dancing thing- except the price. Better still it was possible to get another and another and have 12 stations for tooling- if one wanted to go mad- and keep to the commercial price.
So I did one rather foolish 'improvement' and did a rear tool post- with 3 more bits of scrap. It would handle six tools with one four way tool post on the saddle.

Well, a joke is a joke and along came George Thomas and he had modified a rear tool post casting made for Ian Bradley- the other bit of 'Duplex' in the books. GHT made an improvement and then had a re-think- or two and tilted the thing and made a rear parting tool post with two hss blades.

I got a bit too enthusiastic with the thinner 1/16th blade and I now do all my parting off with a 3/32 one-- again at vast speeds and a slap of lard oil.

So really, it is all the mind this qctp thing- or somewhat prudently, in the pocket.

It doesn't take much to saw up three blanks, fasten them together and drill a central hole to fasten the lot down- or does it? With the time- and money saved, one can go to the bank to count one's loot.:hDe:

Regards

Norman

Hello Norman

Can we see a picture of this cut off holder?
If an owner off 7*10 to 14 incher cares to measure the distance from crosslide to centerline and from compound slide I will try to sketch a sensible series of very rigid spacesaving tools.My guess is that they can better QCTP on all counts except price.If You intend to make many similar parts a 7*10 is not a good tool anyway.
A picture of me and motorbike.It outclimbed a Susuki Savage and ran even with a Honda 1000 fourcylinder from sealevel to 1100 meter altitude somewhere in Norway.
No Harley in sigth to race.
http://cdn.homemodelenginemachinist...87009-2-stroke-2-cylinder-engine-mz-008-1.jpg

Last edited:
A picture of me and motorbike.It outclimbed a Susuki Savage and ran even with a Honda 1000 fourcylinder from sealevel to 1100 meter altitude somewhere in Norway.
No Harley in sigth to race

Niels Abildgaard----- instead of being a nasty **** disturber on my post
why don't you go and start your own or go and suck an egg

you should also read politics about ethics and politics on members posting

my post is called YOUR OPINION on a specific tool

and not any sugestion:wall:

Niels- et al!

Basically, my rear tool post followed that of the kit in Hemingwaykits and the words and music of George Thomas in Model Engineers Workshop Manual. Mine- being a cheap skate- came from a bit of metal as the base and apart from the two blades came from the scrap box. The concept is again repeated in the Chris Heapy stuff that a kind Japanese gent put back on the 'net. Heapy also did a three way tool post from the late David Lammas. I've sort of digressed but it was designed to avoid stabbing hands and fingers. I made one up using a bit of cast iron from £3 worth of marking out table-- and got a tool and cutter grinder- or most of it from the rest.

If I may be permitted- the parting off tools were ground more or less to GHT's instructions and with a 140 degree vee along the top, it tightens the roll of ribbon which comes off the parting tool-- and therefore does not seize or nip or bind.

There is nothing new in what I did. The kit is still for sale and I am assured by the author- Dr Bill Bennett that he is still getting royalties.

My three bits of metal thing came from the pen of Martin Cleeve in Model Engineer- and author of Screwcutting in the Lathe. Way back, Cleeve described how he had a part Myford- no 3 jaw or anything like that but he had a rack of 4 way fabricated tool holders held together with-- home made socket screws.

Nothing new- all old, tried and tested-- and inexpensive stuff.

Regards

Norman

Niels Abildgaard----- instead of being a nasty **** disturber on my post
why don't you go and start your own or go and suck an egg

you should also read politics about ethics and politics on members posting

Luc no need for name calling and suggestions of egg sucking. Breath relax and have a good belly laugh over Niels attempting to ingest a pair of combat boots.

Neils : there is no need to play the MY ________ is better than yours game we are all way beyond kindergarten.

ALL :there is room for varied opinions for tooling but the respect must be shown . There is no need to attempt to demean others or attempt prove you are better.

Tin

If it appears that my comments imply anything other than constructive information, then they should be deleted. They were published by others -and I was merely repeating them- after being personally satisfied about their usefulness.

Luc no need for name calling and suggestions of egg sucking. Breath relax and have a good belly laugh over Niels attempting to ingest a pair of combat boots.

Tin I totally agree with you

But I have to ask you, when He hijack my thread, as an administrator
why didn't you talk to him.
then he's chatting with goldstar and you let that go also

as you notice I did put them on my ignore list
I was under the impression that after two personal attack if administrator
don't do anything well it was left to me

cheers

Back