What Is The Smallest Tap You Have Used?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
000-120 is the thread that holds the cylinder on the Micro HOSC. I do 0-80 and 2-56 mostly.

Picture 002.jpg

Hi Phil,
Yes, I made the hex heads on the nuts and bolts. I first turn the shank of the bolt. If it's long I do sections at a time. With the shank threaded I turn the head diameter leaving about .010 extra. I then take it out of the lathe and put it in my small dividing head and put the hex on it. After that I saw the bolt off with a jeweler's saw. I have tried parting them off with a .020 cutoff tool but have lost too many to the chip pile thus the saw. I then thread them into a little arbor on the lathe and turn the head to length and polish it. It sounds like alot of work but it's not really. I usually do a dozen or so at a time. Bye the way I do part the nuts off. I put a piece of piano wire in my tailstock and insert it into the threaded hole then use my .020 cutoff tool to part them off. I then put them into an Allen set screw of the correct size and file the little burr that's left on them.
gbritnell

Thanks for the description gbritnell. I've made some 10-32 bolts that were 2" long pretty much as you've described, but I really haven't done the small stuff to any extent. I'm fascinated by those who can work in that scale.

Cheers,
Phil

6BA and I don't enjoy it one little bit. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

00-90...my hands are too big to tap anything smaller....not without a tapping stand anyway

Latest posts

Back