What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steamchick.
My youngest sister stayed with me several weeks ago and when she phoned me yesterday she said that they told me about leaving the presents under the table. Now, I don't know why she would make up a story like that, but she did. The others are keeping shtum.

Another day, another year older.

Hi Michael. Fascinating how machining takes on so many different aspects.
Some interested in precision, some volume production, some traditional methods, some modern methods, some the output parts, some the tooling complexities....
K2

Hi All !
What did I do yesterday?
I received an old phone -galaxy S6 - 1 month ago
It can't start, even though I've tried everything
I decided to install new firmware for it
And :

Attachments

• AAA1.jpg
    AAA1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230724_095142.jpg
    20230724_095142.jpg
    882.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230724_112504.jpg
    20230724_112504.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well done Minh Thanh.
I bought a 4-year old Samsung Smartphone a week ago... and still struggling to make it a part of my life. It seems to work fine, except the SMS messages I have sent only seem to have reached 1 or 2 people, or I have suddenly "Lost" 3 friends/family. I have lost ALL my "whatsapp" history, as that was previously in use on an 8-year old Tablet. It seems to "talk" to people that I don't know, so I get messages from anyone in my Contacts list that may be a business that I used 5 years ago, or something... and I am scared of running-up huge data bills.
Still my 12-year-old Samsung still works well, so I can revert to that one if push comes to shove!
I only need the new device for Rugby tickets that only work with a Smartphone! Now, is that "Big-Business' version of Big-Brother"? You need £100 of device per person and a supporting data contract to be able to use £50 of ticket?
Sorry to be "political" at the end...
K2

I bought a 4-year old Samsung Smartphone a week ago... and still struggling to make it a part of my life. It seems to work fine, except the SMS messages I have sent only seem to have reached 1 or 2 people, or I have suddenly "Lost" 3 friends/family. I have lost ALL my "whatsapp" history, as that was previously in use on an 8-year old Tablet. It seems to "talk" to people that I don't know, so I get messages from anyone in my Contacts list that may be a business that I used 5 years ago, or something... and I am scared of running-up huge data bills.
Still my 12-year-old Samsung still works well, so I can revert to that one if push comes to shove!
I only need the new device for Rugby tickets that only work with a Smartphone! Now, is that "Big-Business' version of Big-Brother"? You need £100 of device per person and a supporting data contract to be able to use £50 of ticket?

Your message got a chuckle out of me - - - - some twenty and thirty years ago I used to try and keep close to the new tech line. Today - - - - I use what works for me - - - - and the glorified toy that most 'smart' phones are - - - they are great tools for communication (verbal) and pics and the like but absolutely suck for business uses (idea development, serious communications and serious graphics work (you know that CADD stuff!)).
What makes things even better - - - we live where there is a reception 'hole'. Living close to an intersection I can see drivers stop some distance to the east
and some to the north (don't worry too much about the other 2 - - - grin) because if they continue - - - they lose reception. Welcome to rural wireless services in much of western North America.
(Hopefully not too much rant!)
I do not know any tools or techniques to help you recover what's changed - - - perhaps someone else close to you might help?
(I find planned obsolescence very very frustrating!!!)

Aha!
I cheated... the appropriate document I had sent by whatscodswallop was still on my PC, where I tend to keep (and back-up) stuff I will otherwise forget. In fact, I had kept a "Word" version of the Whatsit conversation because it was so useful! - Before converting it into a "procedure"... Most of the chat I lost was just less important stuff.
So managed to regain some degree of sanity.
K2

Two years ago I lost my phone at the mega brush pile at the nearby landfill. It is now part of the mulch in someone's yard. Then I bought a cheapie till I could find a good deal. So I just got a super deal on a much nicer phone. But like K2, all my texts and contacts only had phone numbers without names.

A Google search came up with a handy: "17 steps to try for recovering the names in your contacts." I tried 3 steps and gave up. Now I have to carry 2 phones to get the job done.

A wise person once told me that Some things you are not going to do without a boot-print in your butt.
Still true. Anybody within kicking distance. 🤬

Here's an interesting one.

I recently tried to register myself on a site called

canadianhobbymetalworkers.com

which is a forum for Canadian model engineers of pretty well any persuasion--or at least what that's what the site says.

I went through the registration process, and my email address and forum name seem to have been accepted, but I was immediately banned from the site with this message:

"Oops! We ran into some problems.
You have been banned for the following reason: Spam. Please contact the administrator if this was done in error."

And herein lies the kicker: having been banned, I have been given no means whatever to contact the site administrator, though there seems to be a vague reference to Facebook, to which I do not subscribe. Nothing I try, including "contact us" in the site's "help" section (which oddly enough I can access, sort of), allows me to speak with anyone on the site to correct the "error".

The whole thing is ludicrous. It's almost as if this site is intent on banning itself out of existence.

What a shame! Anyway, today I gave up on it all, and suggest that others may encounter what I did if they try to register.

which is a forum for Canadian model engineers of pretty well any persuasion--or at least what that's what the site says.

I went through the registration process, and my email address and forum name seem to have been accepted, but I was immediately banned from the site with this message:

You have been banned for the following reason: Spam. Please contact the administrator if this was done in error."

And herein lies the kicker: having been banned, I have been given no means whatever to contact the site administrator, though there seems to be a vague reference to Facebook, to which I do not subscribe. Nothing I try, including "contact us" in the site's "help" section (which oddly enough I can access, sort of), allows me to speak with anyone on the site to correct the "error".

The whole thing is ludicrous. It's almost as if this site is intent on banning itself out of existence.

What a shame! Anyway, today I gave up on it all, and suggest that others may encounter what I did if they try to register.
Well curiosity got me, I looked at the site saw some things of interest and so I registered. Worked fine for me but it would appear that they are having some ongoing issues with some people. Every page is prefaced with a statement to this effect but the page is there if you scroll down. Maybe give it another try and scroll down if you get the issues announcement.

John 🇨🇦

I had a similar problem with MEM website. First I signed up with my Indian Email address but they rejected it. Then I signed up with google address and I was allowed to join the site. But after few days I was banned from the site. Now they have banned my IP address too. I don't know why it happened? I never tried to contact any admin there.

Regards
Nikhil

A mate who once worked in related industries, explained - when he had been banned from a site.... Somewhere in the "contacts" or other links that their computer is reading from yours (to do with necessary Handshake checks? - Cookies? = "sweet things" that you accept and will eventually kill you?) there is some malware, spyware, or other malicious link that their security has identified. Therefore their security checks will block your computer from talking to theirs.
You need to do a thorough Malware and Spyware check - for Trojans etc..... - on your computer - as something hidden is not acceptable to their security programme, which probably means it is doing something naughty in the background of your computer. - E.g. a link in a chain of computers to forward information (Spam? Naughty webdata?) that you do not know about? - Apparently it can happen to us all...
But I don't understand other than needing Malware and Spyware security checks on my computer to prevent such things.
Maybe someone who knows can add/amend this explanation?
K2

I'm not too sure about the malware thing. I've tried 4 different computers on this. In addition, this is the only site that has ever given me trouble.

I also scan my computer regularly to detect problems. None ever.

Its not necessarily even about malware.

Our good friends (???) over at mz googly's emporium that delve into Chrome have things set up so that if You're NOT running Chrome - - - - well - - - - you just must be spam.
I find that (the idiocy termed) Chrome doesn't work with the way I use my Linux box so my primary browser is Firefox (which does have its own idiosyncrasies!!) and with some forums things can be hairy - - - - and as far as I can tell only because I'm not running Chrome - - - I do use some Chromium derived versions but NOT as my main work space.

Its one of the things that happens when you own the bulk of any market. We had these issues long ago with M$ after they upset Netscape. Just another pile of male bovine excrement with some overly fat frogs croaking on top of the pile.

HTH

About the forum, my personal opinion:
Probably...more than 99.9% of admins always want the forum to have as many members as possible - except for the members who are so bad and they have to get rid of those worms. more members, more projects, discussions... and that's what makes the forum exist and grow. None of the Admins want their forum to be isolated
But sometimes because the forum program crashes, sometimes the software problem can't be solved quickly in 1 or 2 days...we should sympathize with that.
Sometimes there are too many destructive attacks out of jealousy, because ... or simply just like to destroy ... and the forum's software can't stand those destructive attacks, so Admin forced must do what they feel is best for their forum , Ban IP addresses of a region , a country or an entire continent , put words or phrases on the blacklist ....But sometimes too hard and too ...and that makes it difficult for new members to join the forum ..we can hardly blame them ,. Unless that forum has enough financial resources to update or change software, servers...better and more powerful
There are many forums , so choose the one you feel like !

I’ve not tried that site but I have run into other uncooperative sites although not banned before I register. I too don’t do FB messenger. Or other social media sites that make it difficult to contact I just forget about. It is nice to have special interest sites . I try not to abuse them or get political .

Good point, Bentwings. I am forgetting about them, though I did manage to get in touch in a roundabout way and ask them to delete any information about me that they might have.

Had elbow surgery so I’m struggling with bandages and preserving movement. Cut the toe off low sock and use heel for pad on elbow so I have a sock sleeve instead of tape wrap. Much more comfortable.

Back