What brand lathe is this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what brand of lathe this is? The guy says it's a Unimate. I assume he meant Unimat and I doubt that's what it is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhEbvGAmXB4&feature=feedrec_grec_index]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhEbvGAmXB4&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/ame]

Chuck

Maybe a Perris...but it doesn't have the leadscrew clutch.....I was also thinking Myford ML4...and it's close...but no cigar.

Dave

years ago in model engineer i saw a picture of a lathe like that and i think it was called a zyto...........but i could be wronge :)

in the video what exactly is the guy making???

chuck

Chuck,

From about the mid 40's to the late 60's there were many variations and names of lathes all built to the basic shape of the Myford ML2 and later the ML4.

Very little was interchangeable between them, but from 10 feet away you couldn't even try to guess what the make and model was. A lot were made in back street machine shops, and in the period mags of that era, you can see them being advertised for sale.

I restored an ML2 and it was awful trying to get the correct bits for it, purely because they looked almost correct, but weren't. So I basically ended up making a lot of parts for it just to make sure they would fit.

John

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I just thought it was nice looking, well built little lathe. The guy in the video is making mock helical gears. The tool he is using was featured in Model Engine Builder some time ago. It doesn't make true helical gears, but apparently close enough for model engine work.

Unfortunately, you have to make two fixtures, one for 30 degree helical angle and another for 60 degree helical angle. Any other variations in helical angle require a separate fixture.

Chuck

hi chuck

i have an Ml4 and can say that that lathe is not the same as mine it appears to be a lot smaller i have looked at lots of pics of ML 1 ,2 , 3 ,AND 4 to try to identify mine and this lathe does not look like any of them having said that i looked at a lot of unimat lathes in various forms on fle bay and it does not look like any vesion i have seen brian

dalem9 said:
When you reach up to turn it off and get hit by the part spinning ,I am sure you will have a name for it! Dale

Yes, that's what I thought!

dalem9 said:
When you reach up to turn it off and get hit by the part spinning ,I am sure you will have a name for it! Dale
and get wound up in it because you're wearing a long sleeve shirt.

That thing is a disaster in waiting.

That thing is certainly not a Unimat they never had a gap bed.
The name came from uni = universal and was still is designed
to be a mill, sander, plane, saw, I had one of the early ones that even had a dividing head.
That bit of kit I agree looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Latest posts

Back