Welder and Plasma Cutter Tech

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macona

Reaction score
I am a Miller Certified repair tech for welders, plasma cuttesr, engine drives, ect. I work on all brands, Lincoln, Esab, Hypertherm, etc. I also work on cutting machines, plasma or oxy/fuel.

Macona !!! Mate (One big suck up coming :big: )

just the bloke i've been looking for!!!! :bow:

i'm a fan of the DNC 2000 ( formerly a hanrob oxy acet system before the take over)
i can do EVERYTHING with the hanrob, steel to alu, alu to alu, cast to steel etc
but it is slow an you need a real good hand ( and my right one is getting wobbly and will get worse )

cutting well they are not so great but do the job i need.. but i'm wondering about welding

i'm looking at a baby mig are these tiny things any good?? gasless and all

MIG is more forgiving i'm told, i dunno

what would you recommend for the home hobby nut ??

i dont do heavy stuff so dont need heavy penetration but do need to weld clean ( the less clean up the better)

and some people say the little ones are a bit "up and down" that way ( i'm no expert so not real sure what exactly that means )

what are your thoughts??? knowledge and experience say ??

cheers :bow:

jack ( who learned to weld with a lincon arc stick 30 odd years ago and only just got rid of it and kicking myself..)

I have a line on a PowerMax 1100 PC, any opinion on them?

Hi
Small mig welders are OK for occasional use but the gas bottles become expensive
(gasless mig) is messy
Better to buy a second hand semi industrial unit .
I use migatronic at work and i cant fault them.
For accurate home use a scratch start TIG inverter is the way to go especially if you can gas weld
John

Ha.. Forgot I posted over here, anyway

Innershield (gasless) on low amperage machines should be avoided at all costs. There is just not enough heat in the weld for it to do its job properly. Get a decent MIG machine. Dont know where you are but in the US Miller makes the best small mig machine. Hobarts are cost controlled millers. Lincolns are worse than hobarts.

CO2 works instead of the AR/CO2 mixes that are most commonly used today. Anywhere you can get a fill for beer supply should do the job. Even a little 5# cylinder is good for several hours of mig welding.

Tig is great. I have a 300 Amp inverter, but it is sooooo slow. I pretty much wire feed everything, aluminum, steel, whatever.

Kenny, All the Hyperthem machines are good. If it fits your bill and is a good price get it. Do youtself a favor and get a motorguard air filter for it though.

Back