Webster engine running as hit and miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This morning I rushed across town and bought a pair of o-ring drive belts the correct length, (one is a spare) and a weaker compression spring for the governor stempost. I had to fire it up as soon as I got home. There is considerable improvement in the hit and miss action, but its not quite where I want it to be yet. I know you fellows are anxiously awaiting a video, so here you go. This is not final, but it does very well to show the Webster engine running in "hit and miss" mode.----Brian

May not be perfect but still awesome. :bow: Like watching the balls rise and fall with the RPM.

Brian,

That sure is fun to watch.

Are you going to try and get it to run slower.

SAM

Great job Brian,
Now it's just a matter of tweaking the springs and levers till you get it exactly where you want.
George

Good going Brian. Lots of nice work and innovation. Watching that governor assembly go up and down is mesmerizing... th_wav Looking forward to more of your videos.

Regards,
Rudy

Well, I think this is about as good as its going to get. The project is a success. I have turned a 4 stroke Webster I.C. into a hit and miss engine. The reality of the situation is that the governor is way too large in relationship to the bore of the engine. I kind of knew that when I set out to do this, but its been a fun project. On a "to scale" hit and miss engine with the governors set into the flywheels, the governors are much more sensitive to engine RPM than what I have here. Add to this the fact that I am limited in terms of how large a flywheel I can mount to this existing engine. The thing I like is that I can run the engine in normal non hit and miss form by simply removing the o-ring drive belt. I have to do a bit of tidy up now, and find a new location for the gas tank, but other than that I will call this project finished. Thanks to all who followed along and expressed interest.----Brian

Ata boy Brian. I had faith in you. Well done. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

very cool i like the way they run and its nice watching the balls go and the valve action

Latest posts

Back