Webster Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gus, yes, I have cheated as well and have a OS carby to fit. I have reduced the spring tension on the inlet valve and it now snorts when I rotate the flywheel.

I started with the Webster as my first. I will attempt something a little more complicated after this. This is a big learning curve for me.

John

The points and ignition cam are now complete. I had some trouble with the valves not sealing properly. I have re-done them and they are a lot better but not 100%. Although, I feel that they should be OK. I have a reasonably good amount of compression and when I spin the flywheel there is a distinctive snort from the intake valve. I can't see it opening but I guess it only has to move a few thou to intake the mixture.

Anyway, now onto the carby and exhaust. Getting there slowly as I have been up in Queensland for 6 weeks getting away from cold Melbourne.

John

Image Webster.jpg

Your engine is looking good. I have only made a little progress on my own build, but hope to get back to work on it soon. Keep posting - I need the inspiration!

Reactions: gus
I am about to start building the fuel tank. Is there any special considerations that I should be aware of? for eg. height of the tank, fuel level in relation to carby.

Does the fuel level need to be higher than the carby intake, so as to enable a gravity feed?

I was going to build it in brass.

Thanks John

Reactions: gus
Tank height is based on the following:--When completely full, the top of the fuel level in the tank should ideally be 1/4" below the centerline of the carburetor main air passage. This is based on the fact that the fuel bleed hole in the spray bar is essentially on the center of the carburetor air passage, and you don't want the fuel to gravity feed and "puddle" in the carb, nor run out onto your test bench and start a fire.---Brian

John, could you take another picture of your Webster and put something in the frame for a size reference? BTW, I'm following closely, as the Webster will be my next build.

Chuck

Well it is finally coming near completion. I thinks I have made the fuel tank way too large. I am not familiar with the screw adjustments and settings on the Carby. There is a needle valve screw and two adjustable screws on the side. Any help on making the initial adjustments on these screws would be appreciated.

Also, what is the preferred fuel for this engine? I have seen that some people are using unleaded fuel and WD40 and others Coleman lantern fuel.

Thanks John

gopr1266.jpg

gopr1267.jpg

Also, what is the proffered fuel for this engine? I have seen that some people are using unleaded fuel and WD40 and others Coleman lantern fuel.

I has same engine as you, my the engine is running at unleaded petrol (95 octane) and 5W-30 motoroil. Also no problem. :)

Thanks guys. When you say you add a small amount of 2 stroke oil to shellite and 5w-30 to unleaded. - what percentage would that be.

Is shellite and coleman lantern fuel one of the same?

Regards, John

I think you would be quite safe at a 30:1 mix--possibly even 40:1. I'm not sure about shellite, but Coleman fuel is basically Naptha gas in a fancy can. The nice thing about burning Naptha is that it has very little odour. Pump gasoline works but it stinks when it burns.---Brian

Thanks guys. When you say you add a small amount of 2 stroke oil to shellite and 5w-30 to unleaded. - what percentage would that be.

Regards, John

My engine ran at pure unleaded petrol direct into the engine, while the oil came into the cylinder via oilcup with adjusting screw for oil amount. There is not sign of abnormal abration, compression is still good.

Jens, where in the cylinder does the oil go? On the piston skirt? I'm curious
because I would like to avoid mixing oil with the gas. No special reason
other than I associate gas/oil mix with chainsaws and that means work.:rolleyes:

Pete

Is shellite and coleman lantern fuel one of the same?

Regards, John

According to my research, they are both about the same. As far as oil ratio goes, as others have mentioned, 30:1 to 40:1 ratio is fine.

Paul.

Back