Webster Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little reminder about alternative ignition systems.

A few years ago I built the prototype of the 'Minimag' (now renamed as the 'Falcon') to prove it's new concept, after the Minimag was updated with new types of magnets. A fairly easy build, and it works perfectly.

http://minimagneto.co.uk/Products.php

This is a video of my Minimag (Falcon) running a Webster to prove it's concept and show that it can be run by a small engine. My Minimag is destined to run a full sized R&B engine.

It can be swapped over to different engines very easily, so even though fairly expensive initially, it pays for itself in the long run and of course, no batteries required at all. For multi cylinder, just swap over the easily made cam with more lobes on it. A fully self contained ignition system.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9ivpUR0T8[/ame]

The same Webster engine using standard type ignition system.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRE8SoxStU[/ame]

If anyone is interested, I do have a PDF that shows exactly all the machining sequences for building a Minimag magneto.

John

Last edited:
Hey blogwitch,

I would love to see the pdf of it

Jon

Ok, this will be a new learning curve. I have a rotary table, so, would it be advisable to purchase a set of indexing plates?

I had a look at the link for the hob also. It is all a little confusing until I learn some more about it.

John

Ok, this will be a new learning curve. I have a rotary table, so, would it be advisable to purchase a set of indexing plates?

I had a look at the link for the hob also. It is all a little confusing until I learn some more about it.

John

Oops, I always assume having a rotary table implies indexing ability. You will need to be able to index so some plates would be a good investment.

The link I gave is sort of mid-way through the understanding process of the hob but shows the thing you're going to build. If you have a look at the site map on the right of the hob page, have a look at the section marked gear cutting. The involute page gives all sorts of background data, but the 'how it works' page really makes things clear.

BTW - The little 'flats' on the gears smooth out quickly as they bed in when running.

Last edited:
I've only got a dividing head so I don't really know. I assume that as long as you can make the appropriate divisions and hold the blank steady then a rotary table should be fine.

Ok, that's fine. I will get some dividing plates and stick with the rotary table.

Thanks guys for your advice.

I have been doing a lot of googling on cutting gears and now feel more confident to make my own.

John

A rotary table with indexing plates is what I use for cutting gears. I have mounted a 3 jaw chuck on my rotary table, and the whole set-up works excellent. If you do buy a rotary table, make sure that you get one with two finished surfaces to mount against your mill table. That will let you use it with the output shaft either horizontal (as you would use it for gear cutting) or vertical for use when drilling a circular hole pattern from above with the spindle chuck.

Back