*&(^@*&^*&@ Weather!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

Glad you weathered the storm. We didn't get it as bad as you. We had maybe 10 - 11 inches on the deck and 3 in the drive way. We lost power for 30 hours. A large portion of it was Brown Out conditions (52 volts). The last two mornings were at 27 degrees. Thank God for the generator and the fireplace. I didn't bother with the CJ; I held the gas in reserve for the generator.

I don't know how much gas you hold on reserve but I keep four 5 gallon cans full plus 5 gallons in the generator. That's enough to keeping going for a couple of days. Then I can venture out in search of gas if still needed. My logic has always been that somewhere within an one hour drive there should be gas available.

-Bob

dsquire said:
Dave

Bronchitis is something to take very seriously. Make that your #1 priority. Keep warm and be safe.

Cheers :)

Don
getting checked out

Hey Bob,
The problem is that even when I use a stabiler the gas still goes bad.

I got lucky this time around.......

Dave

Dave,

I rotate the cans by filling the car with them every so often.

We've had problems with the ethanol in the gas wreaking havoc on the carbs of the small engines. If the float bowl dries out the sugars precipitate out and clog the orifices in the carbs as well as causing the float needle to stick in it's bore.

What I've found is that a MightyVac (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00265M9SS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) hand held vacuum pump will clear every thing out. It comes with a bunch of adapters, some of which are small cones, that work well in clearing the crap out of the carb. What's nice, is if you hook the hose on the top of the MV it will blow air. So, between the vacuum and the blowing you will get the carb functional.

-Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case it turns coffee and cream colored. I might try that vac. I usually put the whole Carb in mineral spirits for a day and then flush it with Carb cleaner
thanks for the tip!
Dave

Well latest word.

88% of the city is still without power....I'm one of the lucky ones.

I hooked up another generator for a neighbors friend today.....

I have some really ugly looking pills to take for my sinus infection....

But

It all could be far worse......

Dave

Take Care Buddy

Take the pills Buddy

Keep warm Buddy

Keep yourself and the family safe.

Do you rely solely on Electricity or do you have gas as well. I know you have petrol ;D What fuel is for heating................ ??? ??? So many dumb questions.

I only ask because we have diversified as much as possible. Cooking between electric and gas, gas central heating, evaporative cooling, gas and solar hot water and Texas Utilities + solar electricity.

We don't have a standby genny, just candles and a box of matches ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Heat and hot water are by natural gas.

Need power for the circulator pump on the furnas. Hot water heater needs no electricity at all. My furnas won't start without power to run the circulator pump though (forced hot water system)

Stove is natural gas...this is a plus as I can still light it with my torch striker when the power is out.....my wire refuses to touch the the striker though...and we never know where the matches are when we need them ::)

Water is underground from City source. No power required. My friends with wells are not as lucky and have no water without electricity.

Never had a Generator before 2008......but I wouldn't go without one now!

Thanks for the concern Buddy! :bow:

Dave

Dave,

How long does it take for the gas to go bad? I guess I am lucky. The CJ will sit 8 months or better with the same gas and start right up. I wonder if Mass. has some sort of environmental regulation that blends something with the gas and as a side effect causes the gas to destabilize?

Bob

Hi Bob,

It goes bad in the winter months only.....and it takes about 3-4 weeks...and it's toast.

Dave

Dave,

Geez that sucks. Mass. must add something to the gas during the winter months for the environment's sake. I know NJ use to to add methanol during the winter; I don't know if they still do. Luckily, it never caused any problems when I lived there.

Bob

I know Mass puts methanol in the gas during the winter. don't know why it turns coffee and cream brown after a while....but it sure raises hell with Carbs!

I've seen some fuel stabilizer that is biologic based.....don't know what it is but states it is for methanol mix fuels.....perhaps someone on the forum has a more scientific explaination?

It's red in color

Dave

Hi steamer and all
I am also in Mass but much closer to the coast. I feel for you guys. I trout fish out your way from time to time. This morning's news says 85,000 still without power in western/central Mass. Poor buggers!!

I have had problems with my outboard for the past two seasons with bad gas. Back to the shop 3 times at $150+ each time before I got smart. Now I only fill the boat the morning before I go out, (6 gallon tank-25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, luckily not a big tank/power plant). If I don't take the boat out in the next 2 weeks, the gas is drained out and burned in the car. "Stabil" doesn't work. The boatyard recommended "Starbright" doesn't work. I read in one of the boating articles that E10 gas is junk in 4 to 6 weeks. And the feds want us to go to E15! Geeze!!!

Wrist Pin

That has been my experience also! OK were getting somewhere.

Dave

I didn't read this whole post so if this has been said already ai am sorry . I work on carbs all the time ! The best advice I can give you is to disconnect the gas from the motor while still running and let it run till it stops by itself. Then the gas that was in the carb is mostly gone and no build up of gun from gas evaporating .Hope this helps .Dale

If you pour the fouled gas in a clear container and let it sit you will see that it separates into two distinct layers. The ethanol and water combination (the tan/coffee colored stuff) settles to the bottom, where the pickup tube gets it, and the clear mostly uncontaminated fuel floats on top. If you are careful, you can pour this off and use it. I would add a little STP Fuel Treatment to help it burn. I have done this successfully while cruising in the Bahamas where I was often hours if not days from a fuel source.

Jerry

Yeah - freezin out this morning - was only 65 out. Should be back up to 80 in a day or so... South Texas is like that though...

It was quite bad in the Great White North today too. I had to put on a sweatshirt today to go outside. Hard to believe how bad you got it in that area as we haven't even come close to snow yet. Hope it's cleared up soon and all turns out well.

Ray

I'd love some snow. Down in South Australia (dryest state in dryest continent on the globe) we await our summer heat waves. (10 days in a row around 100 deg. F. ) the tin shed workshops get pretty hot especially when welding or soldering. I believe up in Brock's (shed boys) area it is even hotter. Anyhow, musn't complain. Lifting the tabs off cold beer cans is sort of metal work

We get our hot days too. 105F or so during a heat wave and usually extremely humid (we call it "muggy") during the months of July or August anywhere from 80-95% RH...problem is the months of December and January can be -15F .....2-3 feet of snow on the ground and so dry your nose bleeds if you don't have a humidifier going in your home...

This weather cycle really raises hell with our roads causing frost heaves and large "Pot holes" which eat tires and wheels/suspensions on cars

Dave

Back