Water Cooled Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok enough, if I strip it down I’ll have to stop playing.
Digging around in a parts bin I have full of those fascinating little bits they make computer hard drives out of (ever looked at those castings?) I came up with a small “C” clip that will fit the shaft for the rocker arm.

4000 Rocker Arm Shaft (Medium).jpg

4010 Rocker Arm Clip (Medium).jpg

Back at the start of this I said ”it’s still a Webster, just in a pretty dress”. Well the lady needs a hat :cool:.

To cap off the top of the tank I started with a piece of 3/8 aluminum just slightly bigger than the tank.

4015 New Hat (Medium).jpg

4020 New Hat.jpg

Brought the sides in 3/8 of an inch, 3/16 deep with a 3/8 round nose end mill.

4025 New Hat (Medium).jpg

Then using a 1/8” end mill cut out the ½” square hole in the middle.

4030 New Hat (Medium).jpg

Super glued the lid to the top of the tank as a guide and drilled through #50 going about ¼” into the block.

Tapped the holes in the block then opened up and countersunk the holes in the top.
I have a gross of ¼” flat head stainless 2-56 screws so that’s what’s going in to hold it all tougher.

4040 New Hat (Medium).jpg

4050 New Hat (Medium).jpg

I just used a file to bring it to size and blend it in to the tank.

4070 New Hat (Medium).jpg

It’s funny how the extra 3/8 of an inch in height seems to balance the look. My original plan was to fill the holes covering the screw heads but now that I see it I’m not sure.

4055 New Hat (Medium).jpg

4060 New Hat (Medium).jpg

Thanks’ John
The top of the tank really helped the look of the engine. I’ve been pushing my limits on this and sometimes looking at the engine I have one of those “holy crap .I built that?” moments. I think all I have left is the exhaust pipe, trim the flywheels to blend in the spokes and come up with a fuel tank, then it’s down to Bondo and paint.

I find that it takes about 6 weeks before you quit playing with it after you get it running before you start thinking about building something else. Do you have any idea of how incredibly lucky you were to get that thing to go almost on the first try? The world if full of little engines similar to yours, setting up on shelves, that have never run!!! Their owners (mostly first time engine builders) got so frustrated from trying to start them and not having any success, that they polished them up, set them up on a shelf, and the engines have never and will never run. You did a great job and you are a very lucky fellow.---Brian

Hi Brian
I don’t think anyone can be as surprised as I was when the engine actually started. I was fully envisioning putting a nice paint job on it and having it sit on the shelf as an interesting case study in the do's and don'ts of hobby engines.

That Tarno Carburetor is off a Cox .049 and it funny how for an engine as small as a .049 the book says to open the needle valve 2 1/2 to 3 turns, I’d almost given up when I decided to turn it in all the way and back it out ¼ turn at a time starting at 1 that’s when it gave up its first fart. As things turned out it likes to start at about ½ turn and then back it off the tiniest bit to running. It only gives me about 1/8 turn from too rich or too lean. The throttle valve, to use a quote “forget about it”. Although closed all the way it does make for a decent choke.

I followed all the work yourself and Chuck where doing recently on model carburetors and will be leaning on it soon I think. But hey that’s what makes these forums so great.

Thanks again for all the support.

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to see your engine spinning.
Your workmanship and finishing is first class.
Gus--You are late for the show--He has already posted a video of his engine running.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bL6kr5PRLw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

The Chuck Fellows carburetor works really good on the Webster, and is by far the easiest one to build.

Hi Brian
Sounds like a good suggestion. If I remember correctly from your carburetor comparison video the Chucks carb did work well on the Webster. I’m not terribly concerned with about throttle response the Webster is not exactly a performance engine like the Nemett Jaguar.

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to see your engine spinning.
Your workmanship and finishing is first class.

Hi Gus
Thanks for the complement.
I’ve been watching your Rotary Table build it’s looking good. Are you sure you want that deep sea rod holder? I’ve seen Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and to this prairie boy it doesn’t look like a good idea.
If you want to see the smoke and spin show I have a couple links to Youtube vids up on page 20, posts 191 and 200.

Brian how the heck do you get the videos to preview in the post? I know you gave me the info to post from Photobucket but I’ve had nothing but nightmares with Photobucket ever since my old laptop died, my new one has Windows 8. I think Windows 8 could turn the most powerful laptop in the world into a nice tablet. :wall:

Brian how the heck do you get the videos to preview in the post? I know you gave me the info to post from Photobucket but I’ve had nothing but nightmares with Photobucket ever since my old laptop died, my new one has Windows 8. I think Windows 8 could turn the most powerful laptop in the world into a nice tablet. :wall:

Windows 8 makes no difference to whether photobucket works or not... Personally in my experience its never worked anyway, whenever I've needed to share a photo online I've either used that forums native attachment system or imgur

From windows 8 using google chrome I've already posted a plain youtube URL straight into the post and the forum has exchanged it for an embedded video instead.

I have no problems with Photobucket. For Youtube, just go to Youtube and start your video playing. While it is playing, highlight the address bar at the very top of the page, and press control C on your keyboard, or left click on the highlighted address bar and select COPY from the pop up menu. Then start a post on the forum, and press controlV or right click and select PASTE from the pop up menu.---works perfect.---Brian

It looks like it was a problem with Explorer or the settings in Explorer. So installed Chrome and give it another go.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMPDTTco0as[/ame]

The only interesting thing about this video is that the engine slows down dramatically when I get tazered by the spark plug and doesn’t speed up no matter what I do until it zaps me again. At the time, I was using the metal banding on the work bench as a ground. Funny that I had no trouble at all finding a CM-6 plug but when I ask around for a boot to fit it the counter guy always looks at me like I’ve grown a third eye.

The only interesting thing about this video is that the engine slows down dramatically when I get tazered by the spark plug

Not only is it interesting, it's also quite funny :p. Seriously though, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets my fingers too close to the spark plug, repeatedly. Those 4 little AA batteries (that's what my ignition uses anyway) pack a decent punch when you're not expecting it.

Back