Water Cooled Webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going to have to bolt that thing down to run it, or it will walk all over the table on you. You should have left the baseplate 1/2" longer at each end for a pair of 3/16" holes at each end. I generally screw my engines down to the test bench.---Brian

Hi Brian
Ya this is just to hold things in alignment so I can continue working. I have no illusions of my “balanced crank” will have it running smooth as silk. I was eye balling a rather nice 4 ½” wide length of 5/8 hot rolled I spotted in the garage yesterday. I’m thinking if it’s about an inch or so longer than the engine with its weight and a piece of tool box liner under its bum, it just might not go walkabout on me. Going to see if I can get the manifold knocked out today. When I don’t know what I’m doing its good to know I have a couple of guys looking over my shoulder that do.

Base.jpg

While the rest of the engine was making an oily mess of my bench I got to work on the manifold.

P.S. Special thank you to Brian. Can’t remember which engine it was but great tip not to stand in front of the open spark plug hole when running in an engine with a cylinder full of oil. Remembered this at the last minute and you saved my shirt.

1290 Lapping The Piston Rings (Medium).jpg

I started by laminated the 3 layers of ¼ in aluminum that make up the manifold and squared it up bringing it to the size shown in the Webster drawing. The thing at the other end of the vise jaws is a failed attempt at a step block. It just didn’t turn out the way I wanted but the darn thing comes in real handy some days.

1300 Manifold (Medium).jpg

Laid out and drilled the 4 bolt holes tap size, and step drilled the center up to 9/32.

1310 Manifold (Medium).jpg

1320 Manifold (Medium).jpg

Swapped the drill chuck for the EM holder and used a 3/8 end mill to do the 1/32 counterbore. Flipped it over and counterbored the other side.

1330 Manifold (Medium).jpg

1340 Manifold (Medium).jpg

1350 Manifold (Medium).jpg

Numbered the 3 layers with a Sharpie and split them apart. By laminating the 3 pieces and drilling the holes to the smallest common size I can now move the top block to the bottom and the bottom block to the top so the 1/32 counterbore is on the inside and as long as none are flipped or rotated I know the holes will stay in alignment. Put some small witness marks on the pieces and opened the top and middle bolt holes #43. Reamed the centre hole of the middle block to 5/16 and tapped the 4 holes in the bottom block #2-56 Then bolted it together. At this point the intake and exhaust ports are 11/64, I’ll open them up to the full 3/16 once I have the valve guides ready.

1360 Manifold (Medium).jpg

I generally don’t like to buy these things because I never use them. But some days I have weak moments and Princess Auto got my $3.95. But this time I’m sure my valve springs are in there somewhere.

1370 Springs (Medium).jpg

Was ready to start on the valves and couldn’t tighten the bolt on the tool holder. Stripped down the compound slide and saw that the shank was sheering up through the bolt head. I guess the 56 years of reefing on it took its toll.

Cleaned it up as best I could and took it out to the garage to braze it. The brazing looked great and it feels solid but Murphy’s Law dictates that if I make a replacement now the weld will hold forever, if I don’t it will fail catastrophically.

1390 Tool Clamp Bolt.jpg

1400 Tool Clamp Bolt.jpg

Well it didn’t take long and it’s sort of the same shape as a valve. Into the spare parts bin.

1410 Tool Clamp Bolt.jpg

Ok, back to the valves. I remember making the valve rod on my Elmer's Oscillating Cylinder Engine. What a nightmare, 1.375” long and only .086 in diameter.

1415 Elmers Valve Rod.jpg

When I was within a couple of thou I blued it and just rested the lathe file on it to find the high spots.

1440 Valve.jpg

Then I lightly honed the cutter in place and ran it back and forth just touching the surface until it was down to size. Cut the 45 deg. On the end and parted it off
To drill the #60 hole for the retainer spring I first put a small flat on the valve shaft with a 1/16 end mill. Wow, in that picture it looks like the bit is in the chuck half sideways.

1450 Valve.jpg

The valve guides are pretty straight forward just following the Webster plans. I must confess that for the taper on the guides I just used a file. I have to say that making the spring retainers was pure joy after doing those valves. If anyone knows of an easier / faster way of making valves please chime in.
Oh ya. In that bad “O” springs I found some with the correct wire gauge and the right length for the intake and exhaust. $3.95 well spent.Thm:

1460 Intake Valve.jpg

1470 Intake Valve.jpg

Lapped the valves to the seats and got the valve block assembled.

It’s done and I'm pooped.

1480 Valve Block.jpg

In most every wright up I’ve read on a IC engine build it has poor compression due to the valves leaking so I made this quick little adapter so I can connect the valve block to my compressor.

1490 Valve Test Block.jpg

1500 Valve Test Block.jpg

1510 Valve Test Block.jpg

WOW! I can’t believe it! They leak. Ok, more fiddling and lapping seems to be in order. Sorry no picture. Just imagine the picture above, but connected to a compressor and air leaking out of the block.

I found that I needed to add a thin gasket between all 3 blocks to stop leaking.--otherwise, you can not tell if the valve is leaking or if the air is blowing between the blocks.

Good idea Brian.
I spent most of my allotted shop time lapping and retesting the valves and they seem good but yes the whole block is leaking.
I made up full set of gaskets for all the mating surfaces

1520 Valve Block (Medium).jpg

1530 Copper Gasket (Medium).jpg

1540 Copper Gasket (Medium).jpg

1550 Copper Gasket (Medium).jpg

Back