Warco 280V-F Multiple Problems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy12345

Reaction score
Hi

I have had a Warco 280V-F for a couple of months and have had multiple problems. Firstly I was using it fine then after starting one day the motor sped up really fast and blew the fuse. This happened about 5 times in a row.

I changed the main board and it was fine for 2-4 starts then went again.

An engineer came around from Warco and he changed the board and it did the same but this time blowing the MOSFETS.

After this he changed the motor and it was fine again until just now. I switched the lathe on and it blew the MOSFETS on the main board.

I spoke to WARCO and the engineer said I was starting the lathe wrong. I have to reduce the speed first then start the lathe then increase the speed to what I require. This sounds a lot like BS to me.

Anyway they are sending me yet another new board to try.

I would have thought there was some sort of breaker that would pop and I could reset it and carry on.

Any thoughts? I will send the lathe back if the board goes again

Cheers

I've had one for almost 5 years and just stop & start it at whatever speed i'm using often the fastest so sounds liek BS.

Only times I've had irratic running was once when the motor brushes were worn, can't be that if you have a replacement motor. The other time was when the speed control pot on the front of the machine failed after about 4 years, it just acted like a on/off switch. Nether of these blew anything.

There is a fast blow fuse on the back which should be your protection, Mine has never gone.

J

Hi

I have had a Warco 280V-F for a couple of months and have had multiple problems. Firstly I was using it fine then after starting one day the motor sped up really fast and blew the fuse. This happened about 5 times in a row.

I changed the main board and it was fine for 2-4 starts then went again.

An engineer came around from Warco and he changed the board and it did the same but this time blowing the MOSFETS.

After this he changed the motor and it was fine again until just now. I switched the lathe on and it blew the MOSFETS on the main board.

I spoke to WARCO and the engineer said I was starting the lathe wrong. I have to reduce the speed first then start the lathe then increase the speed to what I require. This sounds a lot like BS to me.

Anyway they are sending me yet another new board to try.

I would have thought there was some sort of breaker that would pop and I could reset it and carry on.

Any thoughts? I will send the lathe back if the board goes again

Cheers

The service tech needs to be doing more for you. Most likely you have a motor issue. The drive should handle starting the motor under REASONABLE loads.

Looks like a bad motor. When the wrong grade of silicon steel plate is used for the stator or rotor,you get endless problems. The squirrel cage bars fractured.

Is your mains cable size ample? Undersize cables can caused voltage drop on starting.

As they have changed the motor it seems a bit unlikely to be a motor problem.

I have heard of the 250's stop button rotating and chaffing the cables, worth a look to see if it shorting out.

Hello, I have had numerous problems with my new 250 vi lathe. Please can you contact me on my mobile as I am very interested in your experience. 07970846006. Many thanks. Lorraine

Hi

Some info for Warco lathe users.

I downloaded the manual for the KBLC-240D speed controller from my 280V-F lathe and the manual states that the AC|ELL pot is factory set at 2 seconds ramp. It also states that the pot MUST NOT BE ADJUSTED TO 0-10% range. I checked my 3 blown boards and all had the ACCEL pot adjusted to zero. I spoke with Warco and the guy that fits them doesn't check them and fits them as is. It seems the ones supplied had their pots set to zero.

You need to check the ACCEL pot and adjust it to between 2-4 seconds and everything will be OK

Latest posts

Back