Wallaby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamer said:
No worries mate.....just wanted to make sure you hadn't been kicked by a Wallaby or something..... ;D.....I don't know how you Aussie's deal with all these animals that are just dying to kill you like snakes and spiders and sharks and such....

Dave

Never mind them mild critters, they usually run away if you make enough noise.

Just don't stir up the :eek: :eek: Drop Bears :eek: :eek: they won't back down to nothing.

Bez

Hi guys
got a big job on tomorrow so dont know if ill get back to the crank, but here is a pic anyway.
My new live centre is rusty already :eek:
If i get time ill check the tail stock and take the mains down a little closer, once they are close, ill do the big ends then put the crank aside for a week before doing a final finish cut on the mains.
Pete
SANY0068.jpg

Bezalel said:
Never mind them mild critters, they usually run away if you make enough noise.

Just don't stir up the :eek: :eek: Drop Bears :eek: :eek: they won't back down to nothing.

Bez

;D.....Yup gotta watch out for them don't ya.....all it takes is a little Vegimite...

Got it!

Dave

took down the first big end journal to half inch today so if i get the chance ill finish cut tomorrow.
Pete
SANY0069.jpg

hi dave
all the dims are still well clear of finish cut size so im ok at the moment.
Ask me tomorrow :big:
Pete

I hate the serious overhang phase. I might try milling the next one I do between centre with the rotary table. But it is looking good from here!
Brock

Hi Brock
Im having a beer or 3 so i might be hung over tomorrow and i hate that :big:

looks like im over the serious overhung phase.
now for hair of the dog :big:
Pete
SANY0070.jpg

Ill put the Crank aside for maybe a week and then come back and do the mains and flywheel taper.
Not looking forward to the bearings cos have not decided how to split the blank yet.
I think ill just use super glue to put them back together as it worked ok on the wedges between the crank throws.
SANY0072.jpg

I built some split brass bushes for a bloke a few years ago to go in a vintage bike engine. He was an older chap who had an idea. We cut milled some shaft length ways till we got to halfway then cut in half and soft solder together (well he done the soft soldering, held them in position with a hose clamp. Tightened when everything was hot) then put back in the chuck and turned, bored and reamed to size. Once it was parted off he heated them up to break them apart. Must of worked okay because he reportedly got the engine going. I think it may have been a Douglas. Crank looks good. Next twin cylinder I build will have the crank throws at 90 degrees to get some better balance. Keep it up Pete.

Brock

Hi Brock
I only just have enougth material for the 3 bearings if i cut in half and use both halves.
dont really want to use a hack saw so i need to think about it for a while :)
Pete

Hi Pete

your making good progress. :bow:
I've no doubt you will sort the bearing challenge.

If it all goes pear shape you cancome and grab some ZA27.
Apparently running on steel it has less wear than phos bronze and lasts 5 times longer.

Bez

Hi Bez
I will have a go and see what happens with the gunmetal first buddy
I might end up buying a good hack saw or something.
My wobbly old thing needs dumping :big:
Pete

The aluminum zinc alloys are amazing aren't they!

Your doing a fine job Pete.....keep the chips flying

Dave

Good going Pete Thm:

If you have a thin slitting saw you could use that to split the bearing blocks; more accurate and less wasteful than a hacksaw. Easier on the elbow as well; that's needed to lift beer ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks Dave
I think i can see daylight up ahead :big:

Hi Arnold
I decided to try it with a hack saw and went a little wonky a couple of times.
We will see what we see, after clean up
Pete

Got a couple of hours in today on the crank
Bogs I decided to keep the crank taper as it was one of the things that made me choose this engine to build.
Down the road i plan to try the tapered collet for the flywheel too :)
Its neally ready to cut off but I have not done the 15/16-26 thread near the taper and on the other end yet.
Im hoping to do the taper in the flywheel after work tomorrow.
We will see.
Pete
SANY0073.jpg

Latest posts

Back