Wales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlmyford

Reaction score
Hallo.
Visiting Wales this June,I would like to know where to go and what to see referring modelbuilding, live steam and related exhibitions?
Where can I find reasonably priced tools for my Myford,or lathes in general and such with british standards near Snow downia,where I´ll stay during my first week and at Pembrokeshire ?
I would welcome any suggestions.
Regards,Ralph

Hi Ralph,

No disrespect to this forum but being North American based, I doubt whether there are too many people here familiar with the Welsh scene. Perhaps you'll get a better response if you post your query on a British model engineering forum — here, for instance:

http://modeleng.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Being London-based I don't know much about the Welsh model engineering scene. As regards full size live steam, though, Wales seems to be chock full of preserved narrow-gauge steam railways. You're going to Snowdonia so you've probably heard of the Snowdon Mountain Railway which has a line running to the top of the mountain (that's the way to do mountaineering :D). Looking at the map here:

http://www.heritagerailways.com/ukmap.html

— there are 12 narrow-gauge railways in North Wales, with maybe 6 quite close to Snowdonia. If you click on the blue dots in that area, links to information about the individual railways will appear in the bottom right-hand pane of the window.

As regards Myford parts and attachments, these are not generally available through shop outlets nowadays. If you want the genuine items you'll have to get them direct from Myford in Nottingham — at full price! Some UK model engineering suppliers supply cloned items such as ML7 steadies, faceplates, changewheels and chucks suitable for Myford spindles but not the more substantial fitments such as gearboxes and taper attachments.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Joe

Hallo Joe.
Thank you for your advice.
I´ll try the british forum.
Regards,Ralph

I just remembered, I rode on the Mt Snowdon funicular railway in 1950 and here's the proof.

Snowdon.jpg

The engines name was Enid and I remember it started snowing halfway up and I wanted to go back to the hotel.
wow.gif

My father pointed out that small boys are seen and not heard and one more word and my backside would feel anything but cold. :eek:

Hope you enjoy your Welsh extravaganza. :)

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ralph, with regard to Myford bits, I know this may sound obvious but ebay uk is full of myford stuff! ,check it out if you haven't already!

Giles

Ralph

Search :

Rheilffordd ffestiniog

Talyllyn

Industrial History Wales

You may get some pointers,...

dave

PS ...& this
http://www.internalfire.com/
if you like big bangy things, there is also another similar, 'Anson Museum' not all that far away from N. Wales.

A bit O.T.,

Bob said:
My father pointed out that small boys are seen and not heard and one more word and my backside would feel anything but cold. Shocked

:big: :big: Now THAT'S a familiar phrase!!!! :big: :big: Had that happen to me on occasion ;D . My mom regularly "warmed up" my bottom - but I don't remember specifics. But boy-oh-boy - on the rare occasions Dad did it... - I remember all of those :) - and I have to say "Thanks Dad" - in retrospect I think it made me a much better person :)

The other evening I happened to skip over a British channel on my satellite TV & there was a show on about naughty/uncontrollable kids. My first thought was "They just need a good whack on the backside" :big:

Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back