Vintage steam engine (toy)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparker

In Rembrance 8/2021
Reaction score
Hello All: This is a steam engine my Dad had when he was young, probably the late 1920's or early 1930's. It was a little beat up when I first saw it and in the late 1980's I fixed it up and repainted it and gave it back to him for a Christmas present. He had borrowed a few of my little steam models I had made to show at the County Museum for a Kid's Toy Exhibit.
I run it at a very low pressure and blow the new whistle I made fairly often to keep the pressure down. This engine was part of a erector set I think and as you can see is electrically heated so it is quite clean except for the oil I use for lubrication.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq9hUcSTFNA[/ame]
Boy I didn't know I sounded like that, I think I should just show the models and keep my mouth shut!
don

Great story Don!

Love the engine!!!!

Rick

Very good running engine-and all there, which is not typical for steam toys

I collect toy steam engines (now have over 100) with emphasis on early german and very early american-proud owner of 13 american models made before 1890.

When we got to the 20's+30's only a handfull of companies still around dominated by Weeden (big variety but flimsy) and Empire which were much better made. BTW Indy-x from LA California made a copy of your machine.

Got to this site in quest to learn how to restore some of my old machines, the only thing is now I find mself going over to the dark side of models. I have now bought two models and a casting kit of a grasshopper engine that I plan on building.

Don that engine is a keeper (although having come from your father it was anyways) as its heater works and so complete.

Don,

Wonderful engine :bow: and I have never heard of or seen one with an electric heater, until today. :eek:

Just goes to show how insular one can become. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

DP...
It's a 1920's Empire. One of the most over engineered toy engines ever built, even exceeding the redundancy of the Jensen brand. The weak link is the heater element which is rather fragile and a right devil to find a replacement. I've still got several similar Empires that I'll someday offer up for sale. Nice additions to almost any toy engine collection.

Steve

Latest posts

Back