Video showing how a mold for a lathe bed is made.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100model

Reaction score
I think that everyone here would own a lathe so it could be interesting to see how they are made. This video also shows the rough machining of the lathe bed.

I think that everyone here would own a lathe so it could be interesting to see how they are made. This video also shows the rough machining of the lathe bed.

Wow ….museum machining lol cool video

That planer is awesome! I have only operated big ones.

No, I do not own a lathe (lucky me my employer bought a 2nd hand lathe). I now wonder how they make the lathes. (I mean cast the beds) The beds come "delivered with a truck". ( had a glimpse into the factory when I bought a follow rest last year)
They use something like this Waldrich.jpg
to machine (as far as remember 4 medium size lathe beds at the same time).

There is also some induction hardening and grinding somewhere :) (not sure if in the same building)

Some of the machine tool makers have their own foundry work, some buy from sub supplier.

Greetings Timo

Latest posts

Back