V8 Steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imation

Reaction score
Hi All
Well I am back in the workshop after an extended break and it feels great.
In the years I have been building I have made everything from beam engines , horozontal ,oscilating etc plus a variety of locos up to 5" gauge,
but never, ever a V8 steam engine? I sort of design as I go so we will see what happens.
I got hold of some alloy round, squared it off and put in some bronze sleeves, I am halfway to (carefully) tapping the 96 6ba holes which hold the cylinder covers.
Cheers for now
Mike.

DSC03625copy.jpg

DSC03627copy.jpg

DSC03631copy.jpg

DSC03632copy.jpg

DSC03634copy.jpg

Did the bronze sleeve material start out as bar or did you get tube somewhere? If tube, was it good enough to use as is or did you have to bore it true?

Looks like it should be a neat engine.

Did the bronze sleeve material start out as bar or did you get tube somewhere? If tube, was it good enough to use as is or did you have to bore it true?

Looks like it should be a neat engine.

I actually cheated on the sleeves and purchased them from my local bearing supplier, and they are good enough to use as is.
They are 25 id X 30 od X 50 mm and cost about $9 each but saved many hours of work.
Regards
Mike.

If those sleeves are sintered bronze, as in "Oilite bronze bushings", they will make great sliding surfaces but will not hold any pressure. Perhaps you already know that??---Brian

Back