Using thin parallels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:big:

Seeeeee. They are "Sissy tools". lmao.

Make no mistake. Macguyver has nothing on me, and I am the king of thrift, and love the innovative how to's.

There is of course a difference between mills being used for a hobby and one that is being used for production, and production tooling.

I actually only use 1/64" parallels, it's all I own. And I do a lot of put and take parts through the mill. I also use <gasp> coolant! lol. I'm pretty sure a few drops of oil isn't going to hold parallels in place when I am running 800 parts with 3000 drilled holes and 1600 tapped holes , and I have 2 flood coolant nozzles flushing chips through the cross holes. But I can appreciate the simplicity and logic of that, for those who are not using their mill in that fashion.

As a business item, it really is part of the vice. I can't have chips getting behind, nor beneath the parallels. These things suck the parallels up tight to the back, and down tight to the bottom, so tight that you can't get chips stuck on top, behind, or beneath them. You can also brush out chips from between the jaws, blow out chips with air from between the jaws, and even flood them out with coolant, and still never touch the parallels, or get a chip stuck.

The economics of them? Well, if you are only making toys as a hobby with the mill, they are pricey I suppose. When you are running a business, the math goes like this. (they were made by SPI, and were like $43 when I bought them in '96 BTW) ...I just packaged up an order for $80 in parts before I sat down here. So, if I bought a set today, they were paid for in one order of 2 items, and will last a lifetime, and make my life easier from this day on... Could I make a set of those telescoping keepers in the time it took me to make those parts I just sold, which are laid out for fast production, on and assembly line? Not hardly. Would the materials be cheaper? Nope. So, for what it cost me to make 2 business items, in time and labor, they are paid for, ...forever, nothing but asset, ...and then I get to write them off too. ;)

Kinda like justifying a Tap-matic, powered cross slide, and a DRO... For business, or for pleasure? I am now setting up for a job with 3,200 drilled holes, and 1,600 tapped holes. They won't fail once, and I won't scrap a single part from chips under, behind, or on top of the parallels, and they won't float away with the flush coolant. :big: It all comes down to "how many items do I have to sell to pay for the luxury item?" ...In this case it was "One"... Case closed. lol.

But, I still have to say... When I am not making parts for money, and it's all play time on the mill, would they be worth it? I can't live without them, they are simply a part of the vice. Hell yeah they are still worth it! If nothing else, make some as a fun project, you won't regret it, especially if you have a whole set of 1/64" parallels, you'll never use anything else. Set 'em and forget em... Trust me ;D.

I know, I know.... Big business, small business, employee, employer, hobbyist, it doesn't matter. They are "Sissy tools"... :big:

And no, you can't borrow them!

I have to go make parts now...lol. No more fun and games tonight... (And yes, I do wish I had a Mazak 6200Y for some of my parts, but that's for sissies, lol)

http://www.maidenusammp.com

Cheers.

Hi All

For what it is worth may i have my say! i thought the purpose of this forum was to share ideas about home metal machining and building model engines and help each other by sharing ideas and in particularly as to how to get round problems arising from about how to do a certain thing .May i quote " There are many roads to Rome " we all have our own way of carrying out operations! its a case of what works for you. I have had quite a few years in industry machining for a living and only wish i have got the machinery i used to have at my disposal in those days but i have not so and there is as i have found out recently there is a difference between HOBBY and PRODUCTION requirements as i have now got to to do the best with what i have using my skills and whatever is available and i have still got to make my first engine
enough said!!

Cheers Paul

Well I'm just an old tool hound who loves the gadgets. Might make one if I get 'round to it. Probably wouldn't splurge for one. Not having much problem keeping the parallels in place at the end of the day.

Cheers,

BW

SKIPRAT said:
Hi All

For what it is worth may i have my say! i thought the purpose of this forum was to share ideas about home metal machining and building model engines
Cheers Paul....
(snip)

:) I agree. The referred post would look right at home on P M site by the owner. :)
...lew...

::) Why didn't I think of that??
This forum continues to amaze me with it's ingenuity and simplicity.
My thin parallel problem is solved.
Thanks guys :bow:
rog

actually I have never had problems with parallels comming off due to coolant? And I nver used more than oil under them? Someting wrong with me?

Also I want to say I agree SKIPRAT, this forum is for the type of metal workers I adore most; the kind that thinks and works hard out of a problem, intead of buying himself a solution like Industry does these days. In the old days when energy was more expensive ppl generally had to be more inventive and thrifty even industry, thats why I love old stuff so much!

I have watched this post from the very beginning, when Stew first posted the spring idea. In fact I use that method at times, and it is perfectly satisfactory.

Ok, it might not be the way you like to do it, but if it helps one person to get a job done, then it is a very valid and useful post.

Instead, everyone butted in with 'you shouldn't do it that way, but this way, because it is better'.

If your way is so much better, then raise your own post about it rather than spoiling someone elses, and making the person feel like horses a**e.

Surely posting is about helping and showing what we do, not contradiction, which seems to be the way with other sites that we all know of.

I will most probably get my b***s chewed off for putting all this in a post, but please, support each other rather than having a pi**ing contest every time something like this comes up.

I honestly think everyone involved should be making personal apologies to Stew for the way you have carried on throughout this post.

I am sure Stew won't be so quick to give out little tips like this in the future, all because of the way this one turned out.

Your loss, not his.

Blogs

RCbuilder....
We're downright proud your going to be occupied with all those thousands of holes, but this board is a hobby board. Your production rates are less important to most of us than tits on a boar hog. The PM board might be impressed with, both, your gainful professional employment status and your belittling tone, but here it soon gets one at the top of everyones "S- list".

Stew....
Sorry..... I missed this thread until it got a bit out of hand.

Bogs....
Your danglers are quite safe. Thanks for the backup.

Steve

The majority of my work tends to be done using non-ferrous metals. I gained control over my parallels with small magnets on the ends of my vice jaws. It does make for a bit of a mess if I forget them when I switch to cast iron....(grin)

Steve

Hey Stew,

Pay no never mind. MY VN12 mill,60 years young, keeps its parallels in place with the oil too!..dripping from the geared head seals....works great!..(Im not kidding)...and WE make engines...not some sissy thing like sheet metal ski's and plane wheel chocks.

Great Tip Stew! Thanks for sharing! A karma for your troubles ;)

Dave

Be of good cheer, folks, for 'tis the season.

Not only that, but if you really want a set of fancy parallel separators, Enco has them in the latest Hot Deals catalog for $39.95.

If you can scrape together enough stuff to make a $99 order (after all, 'tis the season and you just tell SWMBO to wrap whatever gets delivered to the door 'cause you'll love it when you open it), use HLD99 for free shipping and SAVETEN for 10% off.

Cheers,

BW

That OK Chaps

I've been quite intregued by the debate the thread stimulated, we all have our own ways of doing things, and its nice to see them aired, and in the airing we all learn something to file away for use when then time comes.

Cheers

Stew

I scored a NIB 6" Kurt parallel keeper on eBay for less than half price :). Upon receipt, I found that the hard jaws on my Taiwanese 6" Kurt clone won't fit between the spring tubes :-[. Doh! I guess I'll have to try to hard mill the jaws shorter. Yech :wall:! Maybe a better approach is to get some Kurt hard jaws, making my 50% off bargain into a 200% expensive lesson :'(. At least the keepers will work with the soft jaws in my collection.

How hard would it be to make two new connecting strips of longer length? Anything special about them?

Vernon said:
How hard would it be to make two new connecting strips of longer length? Anything special about them?

I'm not sure, but I think the strips are permanently attached to the tubes. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying ready-made if I have to take time to make the blxxdy thing work. Lesson learned...one of many, many, many.

Latest posts

Back