Upshur Vertical(s)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyp

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really had a lot of interest in this engine, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it and thought it would be a very worthwhile project. Since all of the parts are relatively small and easy to do (so far) I figured why not do a couple of them while I was at it. Then, I started thinking...

Attachments

• IMG_2919.JPG
    IMG_2919.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2920.JPG
    IMG_2920.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 223
Makin' a mess...crazy how the volume of shavings is so much bigger than where they came from.

Is was something like -20 deg F this morning so I thought I'd stay inside today and try to accomplish something in the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
These guys have been sitting neglected from being sidetracked with other engines and other home projects. I since have the start of a Hoglet, Open4, Upshur Twin crankcases, not to mention my new path of CNC and have some parts cut for a Demon. I actually did finish my Boll Aero glow recently. So I wanted to get one of these Upshurs put to bed so I could move on with my life and the Hoglet, most likely. I plan on making the 2nd one an overhead cam version. Well, recently I made good progress on the remaining pieces of the puzzle so I could get it running. All cool, except for the fact that I can’t get the &@-“&$!? valves to seal. When I made my Webster, the valves were a piece of cake so I figured I knew what I was doing. The exhaust valve was pretty good but the intake would not cooperate at all. For what seemed endless, I made new valves, faced the seats, made new valves cages/guides and yea, still no dice. Need a break from it for a while. Anyway, this is how it sits currently until I revisit it. The gas tank was just going to be a temporary, but I think I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5372.jpeg
    IMG_5372.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5371.jpeg
    IMG_5371.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
These guys have been sitting neglected from being sidetracked with other engines and other home projects. I since have the start of a Hoglet, Open4, Upshur Twin crankcases, not to mention my new path of CNC and have some parts cut for a Demon. I actually did finish my Boll Aero glow recently. So I wanted to get one of these Upshurs put to bed so I could move on with my life and the Hoglet, most likely. I plan on making the 2nd one an overhead cam version. Well, recently I made good progress on the remaining pieces of the puzzle so I could get it running. All cool, except for the fact that I can’t get the &@-“&$!? valves to seal. When I made my Webster, the valves were a piece of cake so I figured I knew what I was doing. The exhaust valve was pretty good but the intake would not cooperate at all. For what seemed endless, I made new valves, faced the seats, made new valves cages/guides and yea, still no dice. Need a break from it for a while. Anyway, this is how it sits currently until I revisit it. The gas tank was just going to be a temporary, but I think I like it.
A very experienced model builder friend of mine told me his secret for his valves to seal. He made bores for the valve stems loose so they could wiggle around and seal easier.
It works for me. Some may think this is blasphemous.
Good luck
Mike

Back