Unknown Engine Progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swasrider

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am restoring an old engine to working condition. I was given the engine when I was 15 and I am finally going to finish it. I have repaired the valve chest and the bent crank shaft. Next will be to replace the rotten wood and make/purchase the missing parts.

2014-01-17 14.32.38.jpg

This morning I built a new wooden base for the engine, since the old one was rotten. I am still not sure how I should replace the asbestos board that sat beneath the boiler. I am open to suggestions. Also I am going to look at parts such as a pressure gauge and some oilers, plumbing, etc. Feel free to disclose your favourite sellers.

2014-01-17 14.30.29.jpg

2014-01-17 14.30.46.jpg

Today I had some more time to work on the engine. I boiled some water and baking soda in a pot on my BBQ. I then immersed my parts in the water until the paint came off with the light scrubbing of a tooth brush. The parts look really shiny now. Next step is to choose the paint scheme...

2014-01-18 17.05.17.jpg

In addition to removing the paint on the water pump, I tested it to see if it would pump water from a margarine container. No luck... I then removed the small pump housing covers and replaced the gland packing on the piston. Inside there were two tiny gravity valves which maintain single directional pumping. I was surprised at the technological detail inside of such a small pump. These gravity valves were gunked up and the gaskets were leaking. I finally got it back together and tested it in my margarine container once more. Success!

2014-01-17 14.31.08.jpg

2014-01-18 16.29.28.jpg

I am open to suggestions. Also I am going to look at parts such as a pressure gauge and some oilers, plumbing, etc. Feel free to disclose your favourite sellers.

http://www.pmmodelengines.com/

I am still not sure how I should replace the asbestos board that sat beneath the boiler.

Look for a jewelers supply store in your area and buy a piece of soldering board. You may have to ask some questions as it comes in various sizes thickness and material grades . you likely need some that is easily cut and drilled., but still durable.
Tin

In addition to removing the paint on the water pump, I tested it to see if it would pump water from a margarine container... I finally got it back together and tested it in my margarine container once more. Success!
You will need to do more testing on the water pump. When everything is assembled and working the pump should be able to move water into the boiler while under steam. Perhaps you can use a long vertical tube or pipe to create the under steam pressure conditions and make sure the pump can move water uphill that far.

Alan

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. As for the soldering board, I couldn't get any for a reasonable price and sourcing it is difficult for my region (in Canada). The bottom of the fire box has a grate so that ashes can fall down onto the asbestos sheet. I visited a friend who cut me a sheet of aluminum the size of the fire box base that will catch any cinders. He figured that I shouldn't need anything for an extreme temperature barrier since there is a 1.5" air space between the bottom of the fire box and the aluminum sheet. As for the pump, I need to find some real packings. It would be really cool if i could find a packing for the engine piston as well but I don't even know where to start looking.

Today I have taken pictures of the engine after assembly and paint. I replaced all of the string packings with viton o rings and I painted the engine with Testors enamel. I also couldn't get .005 inch gasket paper in a quantity smaller than a 3X100ft roll so I decided to oil and cut some .005 inch paper from a folder.

I have also included some photos of the inside of the base. There was still black casting sand remaining in one of the corners. Finally, I finished repainting the boiler, though I'm not completely satisfied with the red. We will see how it looks on the wooden base.

As for the water reservoir, I will include more photos. It is surprisingly divided into two compartments. water can flow freely between the pump compartment and the steam condensing compartment while air does not transfer between. I will sketch up a picture when I figure out how the reservoir will be set up. Right now I am planning on making a mechanical float, similar to those found on top of fuel oil tanks. More to come on that...

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Hey guys, I have spent a lot of time planning the final design and ordering parts from PMR. I have almost everything I need. I had to re-solder most connections on my water tank in order to make it fit the new base. It was my first time soldering so the first 5 attempts didn't work, and I managed to accidentally un-solder some of the seems on the tank. What a nightmare!- but finally everything is back to normal and pressure tested.
In addition, I have everything bolted/ screwed to the base and I am working on different ways to lay out the plumbing etc.
enjoy!

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

I have now finished painting the boiler, pump, and I have threaded several feet of brass lines and fittings. I received my order from PMR and I am just missing a few adapters that a friend is making at his shop. It looks really great with a new pressure gauge and shiny brass. I just have to finish up the feed line to the boiler, a few more solder points, and touch up the paint here an there. I also ordered steam oil from Yesteryear Toys. http://www.yesteryeartoys.com/. I was surprised at how difficult it was to get a bit of steam oil in Canada. Hope this helps anyone who is looking.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. As for the soldering board, I couldn't get any for a reasonable price and sourcing it is difficult for my region (in Canada). The bottom of the fire box has a grate so that ashes can fall down onto the asbestos sheet. I visited a friend who cut me a sheet of aluminum the size of the fire box base that will catch any cinders. He figured that I shouldn't need anything for an extreme temperature barrier since there is a 1.5" air space between the bottom of the fire box and the aluminum sheet. As for the pump, I need to find some real packings. It would be really cool if i could find a packing for the engine piston as well but I don't even know where to start looking.

If you are still looking for heat resistant material, consider a piece of ceramic blanket that welders use. Go to your local welding shop and you may get the few square inches you need for next to nowt.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Back