Unique air powered engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score
Hi,
I was at the St. Clair County (Michigan) Farm Museum Old Fashioned Harvest Days show yesterday, and came across a very unique air powered engine. The valves are located in the piston, and the piston rotates maybe 90 degrees as the engine turns over. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the name of the gentlemen who built it. He had two versions, one made of metal that had a water pump attached, and one made of Lucite to show the internal workings. I’ve attached a few photos of the latter that show its movement.

Anyone ever seen a design such as this before?

Jack

DSC_0346a.jpg

DSC_0347a.jpg

DSC_0350a.jpg

DSC_0351a.jpg

Can't really tell from the pictures how it works. Would be interesting to have more information on it...

Chuck

I beleive it is based on the luton bowman twin produced in the late 1940's

ken.

E.T.Westbury designed a horizontal engine on the same principle (think it was the cygnet).

The overhung crank pin has a spherical form on the end that engages in a radial hole in middle of the one piece piston.
This imparts a rotary motion to the piston which has axial grooves to align with the steam ports.

Les

Latest posts

Back