Unexpected gift.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
We spent a day over Easter with our son, daughter in law and grandson at her parents holiday house, her parents were there as well. As soon as I walked in the front door I spotted a Mamod Roadster, I mentioned that I was always on the look out for one, I was told this one had been bought recently for A$10 at a charity shop.

Our sons father in law approached me a short while later and said the car is now mine, the only proviso was that I should pass it to my son when I was finished with it, and he was to pass it onto his son eventually.

I couldn't believe my luck, the only part missing is the fuel tray, as soon as I came home I ordered one via eBay.

Paul.

Good on ya! I'm sure it will look better than new when your done.

Cheers,
John.

I have given the boiler a descale and decided to see if it all worked. I used some solid fuel stove tablets that I bought from a local camping store and built up a head of steam. The gasket for the pressure relief valve was a bit old and hard so I had water leaking from there, but the motor spun and with a gentle push the car had short runs before the pressure reduced due to the leak.

Anyway, I was happy that everything seems fine, a bit of fiddling will surely have it running well. I'm surprised that such a small cylinder / piston can move the car.

Paul.

Back