Unexpected bonanza

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
My wife works as office manager for an local medical doctor. As is the case in most practices, medical sales reps are always trying to find a new gadget that no one else has given the doctors. This used to go to extremes until the US passed laws limiting what value a gift could have. This has driven these guys to become quite creative and there have been some really oddball things come through the office in the past few years.

We've got fancy pens to walk on, clipboards in uncounted numbers, laser pens are a regular item and some of the toys they find have been rediculously entertaining.

Yesterday my wife asked me if I might have a use for the bulb from a sphygnonometer. Thats the fancy name for an old fashioned blood pressure cuff. Many M.D's still prefer them over the new automated digital versions because they can get a lot of information by feeling and listening to the pulse. Her Doc is just that type of guy, so his gets a constant workout and eventually they wear out.

One of the drug companies figured out that a replacement bulb and pressure line with their logo might grab the attention of a few MD's and supplied their reps with a rather generous supply of them. The rep's replaced all the worn out bulbs they encountered and then found they had enough to outfit each doctor many times over. They began giving them away in quantity just to have room for the next generation of gadgets.

My wife brought one in this evening and I had to do a triple take to make sure I was seeing properly. There in her hands was a length of thick walled surgical tubing, exactly the diameter of most steam lines inlets I've used. Then she pointed out the most perfect surgical stainless steel throttle valve you'll ever see and a very small stainless steel check valve, just custom made for a feedwater pump project.

I thanked her and she asked if it was really a useful item. I responded that I couldn't have asked for nicer steam engine materials. That's when she asked if I wanted the other 16 repair bulbs she had sitting in her way at work....LOL

I think I'll keep her....

Steve

That was a really neat score. The stuff is out there, you just have to be able to recognize it for what it really is.
Mel

Nice Find Steve!
It takes a machinst's eye to see things for what they aren't. :lol:

Rick

Steve,
I have seen the bulb off the end being used for a very soft knocking stick.
The chap had cut a bit off the end and filled it with wet cement then stuck a wooden dowel in it for a handle. Gentle persuasion.
I suppose he used something like a plastic bag with the corner cut off to get the cement in there, used like a piping bag.

John

I know this is a way old thread. 1 year 1 month to be exact but at work this AM one of my coworkers noses in the dumpster and found a bag full of brand new drug co handout blood pressure cuffs complete with tubing ss valves etc. The other guy took some home for his kids to play with .I grabbed the rest (10 sets) even got one of my engines to run off of one . I think my hand would get tired pretty quick though.
Nice tubing valves etc.
Tin

Interesting find! You know, there is a sea of stuff we can utilize out there; we just have to keep the mind open and stay alert!

Memo to me: Find the cute drug rep who gave me the purple brain. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Getting other cool stuff, guys! SHEESH!

BEst regards,

Kludge

Remember kluge the definition of serendipity is: Looking for a needle in a haystack and finding a farmers daughter.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Remember kluge the definition of serendipity is: Looking for a needle in a haystack and finding a farmers daughter.

Ah, yes, I do know that definition and that it works. Kind of. As long as said farmer isn't close at hand. Or, if he is, either isn't armed or can't run faster than you can. Or, more importantly, than I can.

Anyway ... I think I know a few places I can "cross paths" with the reps if my timing's good.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Even better is finding a farmer's daughter holding an already threaded needle.

Ray

Back