Tubal Cain Elizabeth

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamyjim

Reaction score
A few weeks ago now, I decided to make a start on an engine from Tubal Cains "Building Simple Model Steam Engines" set of books. I went for the easiest one first; Elizibeth, the horizontal engine, however I do plan to go through and build the lot in the coming year as it should teach me every skill I need to make bits for engines.

This is my first proper project other than making a couple of USE Engines from castings along with various valves, fittings and replacement parts for my toy steam engine collection so please excuse me for not having perfect workmanship!

Firstly, this is what it will look like when finished.

Picture.jpg

The Engine Frame. Not happy with the marking out of the port's on this, shall either do it again or make another.

P1040220.jpg

P1040221.jpg

The Engine Frame Supports. Didn't like the way suggested in the book (steel studs with brass covers) so these are solid brass with the top turned down to 4BA and a 4BA threaded hole in the bottom to secure to the base.

P1040222.jpg

With the frame...

P1040223.jpg
]

The Cylinder. The cylinder diameter is slightly larger than the 1/4" bore specified, however I cannot off the top of my head remember the actual size I used. Not much done to this, just faced off then parted off to lenght.

P1040224.jpg

Steel former...

P1040212.jpg

First attempt at an end cap (awful)...

P1040213.jpg

Second (Left) and third (right) much better...

P1040214.jpg

All three...

P1040215.jpg

An end cap mounted on the former...

P1040216.jpg

Fitted into the boiler, very small boiler, shown next to iPod for scale...

P1040217.jpg

The start of the flywheel...

P1040218.jpg

A couple of brass bushes. Need to make one more, but plan to make two and fit a spare plug...

P1040219.jpg

Everything made so far, including cock ups!

P1040225.jpg

Next to the iPod again to show scale...

P1040226.jpg
[/quote]

2" Diameter brass flywheel. 1/8" reamed axle hole. Still need to drill and tap the whole for the grub screw to fit in. Not to happy with the finish on the inside chamfer...

Front (with drive pulley)

P1040533.jpg

Back

P1040534.jpg

Quite big!

P1040535.jpg

7/8" dia by 1/8" crank disk. Machine from solid block, then parted off to 1/8". Centre hole tapped 5BA to suit crankshaft. Hole still needs to be drilled for crank pin...again, yet to be made.

Front. (Centre popped for crank pin hole)

P1040531.jpg

Back.

P1040531.jpg

All the bits for the engine unit so far. All brass! The engine unit will only have a stainless steel axle, crank pin and piston rod...the rest will be completely brass! Shall have to make myself some brass nuts for the engine supports as I only have steel ones.

P1040539.jpg

Have not taken photos yet, but I have silver soldered the boiler together, made the filler plug and the safety valve body, and made a brass chimney cap (not part of the original design) to fit atop the chimney - I plan to mount the chimney with a brass holder as opposed to soldering it too the firebox as shown in the drawing.

Have also been experimenting today with using the Guillotine/Roller/Plate Bender combination with some scrap stainless steel my granddad had to make the firebox.

Steamyjim,
Elizabeth is looking good so far. Keep the pictures and descriptions coming.
Dennis

SJ,

A very good start there, just one comment, if you can, and if it is not too late, obtain a piece of phos bronze (PB1 or preferably Colphos) and remake you boiler bushes out of that. Brass can cause problems sometimes.

I love that pair of Tubal Cain (real name Tom Walshaw, Tubal Cain is a sort of patron saint of metal workers) starter books. I have forgotten the number of times I have lent them out to new machinists wanting to start making engines complete with very simple boilers. Invariably they go out and buy their own copies after they have read thru mine, once the spark is lit.

They are so cheap, it is not worth not having copies in your shop.

Keep going, and I'm sure you will learn a lot, as well as having a nice looking steam plant by the end of your journey.

Bogs

Great bit of work Jim

If you don't already know you can use citric acid or Cola to pickle your boiler after soldering just leave it in for a good length of time.

As John said Tubal Canes books are a great source of plans and instructions one of my First Engines was his Beam Engine Mary.

I'm planning on building a Tubal Canes engine as a Chistmas presents for my Grandson.

Keep up the good work

Stew

Thanks for the comments guys! It's appreciated!

@Bogs - I did eye up some phosphor bronze I had in the scrapbox to make my bushes out of. But, I thought I had best go with what it said in the book - I also have a far more plentiful supply of brass over phosphor bronze...next time though, I shall do as you say! ;D

@Bogs and Stew - Yes, the books are brilliant! Have read them so many times! As I say, I plan to build every engine from the book as it should give me all the skills I need to make engines.

@Stew - I was planning to use vinegar for the pickling process, will this be okay?

I have just taken some photos of the latest work, so shall upload them soon!

Jim

Lemon juice would be better, you can get the citric acid from the chemist or home brue shop, and I think some supermarkets stock it for baking, just tell them what its for, it comes as a powder not sure at what the ratio is to mix it to.

John will know.

Not sure what vinegar would do ?.

Stew

sbwhart said:
Jim

Lemon juice would be better, you can get the citric acid from the chemist or home brue shop, and I think some supermarkets stock it for baking, just tell them what its for, it comes as a powder not sure at what the ratio is to mix it to.

John will know.

Not sure what vinegar would do ?.

Stew

Ah, I shall go get some powdered citric acid in the next few days. I used vinegar to pickle some copper tubing after soldering so thought it would be okay to use with the boiler...

Jim,Keep an eye out for kettle descale in powdered form as its usually citric acid and is loads cheaper than from the chemist but check the instructions .The chemists in my area don't stock citric acid any more due to something or other druggies use it for? but will order it in.
regards

Here are the latest bits I have done. Again, nothings perfect, but I am happy enough with each bit...

Safety Valve Body. Have yet to make the ball bit as I have no bronze balls at the moment.

P1050118.jpg

P1050119.jpg

Water Filler Plug.

P1050120.jpg

Blanking plug. For use when hydraulic testing the boiler. This has been put in the tool box - I am sure a 1/4" x 40 plug will come in handy at some stage.

P1050121.jpg

Adaptor used for testing the boiler.

P1050128.jpg

Silver Soldered Copper Boiler. Not happy with the silver soldering here, but for my first go, not to bad, don't you think? May make a brass cover or something similar to go over the top to hide it. Any ideas??

P1050122.jpg

Copper Stay.

P1050124.jpg

P1050125.jpg

Cylinder End Cap.

P1050126.jpg

Fitted into Cylinder. As yet, unsoldered.

P1050127.jpg

Crankshaft.

P1050129.jpg

Crank Disk and Crankshaft.

P1050131.jpg

Chimney Cap. Not part of original design. Did this without any drawings, just put some brass in the lathe and experimented. Not perfect, but, who cares! :)

P1050133.jpg

P1050134.jpg

I plan to make a displacement lubricator tomorrow. Got a few old Cheddar Models ones that I shall copy. You may ask, why not use on of those...partially because I can't find my 1/4 x 32 tap & die set...but mainly as I plan to make everything on here myself (excluding the steam valve...aulthough, on second thoughts, I have a few drawings of screw valves... ;) )

Things are looking very good, Jim.
Can't really see deep into the crevice on the ends of the boiler, so not much to comment on
regarding your soldering job. A pressure test should prove it out!

Keep up the good work!

Dean

Deanofid said:
Things are looking very good, Jim.
Can't really see deep into the crevice on the ends of the boiler, so not much to comment on
regarding your soldering job. A pressure test should prove it out!

Keep up the good work!

Dean

Thanks Dean! I have pressure tested the boiler and it holds, I just however feel the job could have been neater. I think with a bit more practice I should be able to do a better job! ;D

Jim

steamyjim said:
I think with a bit more practice I should be able to do a better job! ;D
Jim

No doubt you're right, Jim. That's how it is with all of us. For everything!

Dean

mklotz said:
I used to tell my girlfriends the same thing.

And what did they say Marv? :hDe:

Back on topic

Jim

Looks like a pretty good job to me. Every time you do a soldering job it will get easier and neater. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Jim

One tip to stop the solder going where you don't want it to:
Use TipEx (I've only used the solvent type) or even just a lead pencil and paint/rub on areas outside the soldering boundary before you flux up. You will find that the solder will not stick to places that have been so treated.

Anyway, you seem to be doing a good job so far on your silver soldering (brazing).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Yeah, there's not much wrong with that silver soldering job - you should have seen some of my early efforts! The rest of it is coming along nicely as well.

Back