Truing up a block in the mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Webs,
I found out by accident. I used to use a Stanley knife, like explained below. Then I bought one of these about 15 years ago for cutting some perspex, and one day I couldn't find my craft knife, so I tried the Olfa instead. I never use anything else now for straight and curved edges. But for holes that are larger than my countersinks can handle, but too small to get in with the Olfa, I use a slightly larger version of what Rick showed above.

To try it out before buying, to see if you like the method, get your Stanley (craft) knife and using the back side of the blade, near to the handle, just scrape one of the blade's sharp corner edges along the sharp edge of the part. One or a few light draws should leave the edge nice and smooth with no burrs and with only a hint of a chamferred edge. It takes a bit of practice to get perfect results, and sometimes with very hard materials, you have to use a file to get most of the rough stuff off first.
That is using a carbon steel blade, once you get to the tungsten blades of the Olfa, they will cope with most harder materials, and gives an even better finish.

I only very rarely use a file for taking burred edges off.

Blogs

Vernon said:
Aaaaah! :eek: I see what you all are talking about. Man, that's scary. The worst part, I found these videos about 6 months ago, watched part of the first one, and recommended them to a beginner machinist...

I hope he doesn't hurt himself... he'll blame ME for suggesting the videos, and claim I owe him ANOTHER beer. ::)

Didn't take the recommendation. I mean gee...he doesn't pay his beer tab...

Bogstandard,
LOL, Very clever and subtle.

Pete

Latest posts

Back