Treadle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a couple pictures of a treadle engine I built about 10 years ago. I keep it on my desk at work and it elicits quite a bit of attention from passers-by. Amazing how many people like it, but have absolutely no idea how it works!

Also, every once in a while someone will figure out how to get it going then inadvertently get their finger under the treadle while its still spinning. The treadle will give a trapped finger quite a bite!

TreadleEngine.png

TreadleEngine002.png

Chuck

cool engine! I'm getting ready to cast something for my new flywheel. What does the crank shaft look like?

Wes

Powder keg said:
cool engine! I'm getting ready to cast something for my new flywheel. What does the crank shaft look like?

Wes

The crank is a normal crank, turned from a solid piece of cold rolled steel. I'll post some pictures along with dimensions when I get to work in the morning.

Chuck

Here's another treadle engine, very similar to the first one. You can see a little better shot of the crankshaft. This crankshaft is built up rather than turned from solid, but the dimensions are the same. The crank throw is 1/2" which gives a 1" stroke. However, the throw on the treadle peddle is about 3/8" - 1/2".

finger1.jpg

I gave this engine to a friend and, unfortunately, don't have it anymore.

Chuck

Fun, fun, fun!!!! I have a couple Ideas for casting.

Here's a head on shot of the crankshaft. It's made from a solid piece of cold rolled steel, 1" wide x 3/8" thick x 3" long. The crankshaft throw is 1/2" which gives a total stroke of 1". The peddle stroke is about 1/2".

TreadleEngine003.png

Chuck,
Are there any problems when building flywheels up like that or do they automatically align themselves?
I have never tried them like that, but they do look very 'agricultural', and on the right sort of engine would look really well indeed.

John

Back