Tormach PCNC 1100 should I??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Machine Controller" is code for a PC with the Mach software loaded. Again, if your even somewhat computer savy you can save here with very low risk. (-$715) - the Mach license is include with the mill so if you have a surplus older windows machine no need to buy..

My hobby has become building CNC machines- I've done 8 or 10 on my own, and lead the classes at the CNC workshop for 22 guys to build machines, so I am really into do it myself.

However, one of the most important features of Tormach is their support, and they offer a unique version of Mach which they customize a lot. In my view it would be foolish to give up all the Tormach support and special features to save a few $ on a cheap PC. The Tormach PC was very carefully chosen to be a match for the mill.

In 'full disclosure' I do support work for Mach wizards, so I might have a tiny gain if you did buy Mach direct and not the Tormach version. I still encourage you to get the Tormach PC and software.

I have owned a PCNC1100 for almost 2 years and run it every day. I mostly machine plastic parts but have done steel, aluminum, wood and brass. Not any issues to date. I made my own power draw bar because I did not want to spend the $1200 for theirs when it came out. Tormach is a great company and their techs are good about helping with any issues. They do have good support. Their products are well tested and designed well. I use their computer for control. These machines can be picky about the computer. I can not say there is anything I do not like about the machine. Well ok one thing I don't like. If you run the table to one of the stop switches while working or setting up, you have to home the machine again before you can do any thing else. All in all good machines for the money. I would recommend their base. It is very nice and gives you storage for the PC on one side, tooling storage in the front and the left side is for the coolant tank. All doors are lockable and it looks good. You also have a very good surface to mount the mill and nice leveling feet under the cabinet.

However, one of the most important features of Tormach is their support, and they offer a unique version of Mach which they customize a lot. In my view it would be foolish to give up all the Tormach support and special features to save a few $ on a cheap PC. The Tormach PC was very carefully chosen to be a match for the mill.

After I posted I decided to read up on the PC offered by Tormach. Its not that the version of Mach software is different but that they are using an embedded version of Windows XP as the operating system -thus avoiding the pitfalls of setting up a PC to run properly with the Mach software. As I don't use Mach but had a hard time setting up LinuxCNC I can see a known working PC to be a value for money spent.

Again - I was just giving examples of items that could be omitted if so chosen so as to reduce the immediate impact on the wallet. I agree that the stand is well made, the PC is a proven performer etc. Just be selective on the accessories

Hearing alot of good things about the tormach, probably will be the mill I go for.....now if I can just find a coupon!!
Im sitting here reading the manual on it now prepairing myself for a new dimension ;)

Latest posts

Back