Tools I never knew I needed.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Steamer,

The picture I had in my mind was not even close.

I was thinking more like a dremel or coax driven drill chuck held on the cross slide and advanced by the same, with the job still in the lathe chuck.

Cheers
Phil

Collet blocks, square and hex. Handy little things.

I recently had to open up the inside of a bore at an angle. ID is .75". I simply could not get the QCTP and tool bit set up so that I could cut the inside taper. In retrospect I could have used a boring bar. However I do have a fairly large 6-flute "countersink" that I had never used. I first tried it mounted in the tailstock, but for some reason it chattered severely and would not make a smooth surface. I was able to use it in the mill with much better success (not sure why, perhaps the lathe speed with too high).

For chamfering the edge of a piece on the lathe I have been using the edge of a threading tool. For something close to the chuck I would need one ground like steamer's.

GrahmC, can you explain how the deburring tool works. I feel like an idiot even asking the question! I DID the Google thing and looked up the Shaviv home page. At first it appeared to be a power tool because the handle is so large. I am now thinking its more of a sharp knife edge. The Shaviv site shows a long sliver of swarf coming of the edge of the workpiece. I've always used a smooth file.....

The Shaviv I have (Mango or some such-- I had an ultra-cheapy, but picked up another one since they're so handy) is a hand tool-- you hold the handle, put the little bent blade/scraper into a hole and crank it around (the blade swivels). Burr comes right off. It can also be used to shave down outside corners and other deburring, but I use mine most on holes and inside corners.

http://www.shaviv.com/movie_shav.asp?num=10 shows a bazillion blades and attachments you can get, but still no actual video of somebody using the thing

They're cheap on sale and very handy, so grab one next you get need to get to $25 or $50 at Enco...

Pretty much how Shred described their use. Holes are dead easy to deburr. So are the edges of cut or machined stock but it does take a bit of practice to feel confident. Most of the bits are for use in one direction only - (ie Clockwise or left to right - or Counter Clockwise or right to left) some are for use in both directions.

There is a deburring blade that kind of looks like a U that is great for deburring holes cut in sheet metal - instead of deburring one side then flipping over and doing the other, the U shaped bit cleans up both sides at the same time.

Files are handy and do a good job but these deburring tools can do just as good a job and more easily and will also do some jobs that a file is just awkward to use.

I haven't looked but there might be a video on youtube or similar. I will have to look later this evening.

cheers, Graham

Shred,
I've got the Mango too - verrrry handy and only $5.84.

0511169A-11.jpg

- Scott

I've managed to use every collet related thing I've ever bought whether it be 5C or ER. As a result, I do not hesitate to buy more collet related things.

For layout when manual machining, I love my height gage and surface plate. Handiest measuring tools in the shop. For CNC, not so much.

The little Harbor Freight butterfly impact wrench is uber handy. I used one to make a powered drawbar for my mill, and I use another for power tapping. Eventually I'll build a parallelogram arm for it.

Get a box of sharpies and a box of steno pads. Leave them all over the shop. Very handy "tools".

CAD software. Wouldn't want to be without it for all sorts of reasons.

The list goes on and on, those are just a few...

Latest posts

Back