Tools I never knew I needed.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshep

Reaction score
When electric screwdrivers appeared I couldn’t see the point but after I got one I wouldn’t be without one.

On the lathe the two things I didn’t know I needed until I got them are:

• the quick change toolpost – I now (almost) always use the proper tool rather than make do with what was last in the toolpost and the tool is properly set up rather than near enough for that ‘quick’ job.

• A chamfer tool – before I had this if I needed to take the corner off a piece of work I would probably take shortcuts rather than set the cross slide over. With the chamfer tool (and the QCTP) I now make neat consistent and repeatable chamfers every time.

I would be interested to hear if there is anything else (other than essentials) that I don’t know I need and then can’t do without.

Regards
John S

Good topic!

Besides the two you have already mentioned (and for pretty much the same reasons):

1) Good quality deburring tool (Shaviv) - easy to use and creates better and more repeatable results than using whatever old file is at hand and with the proper deburring bit makes it much easier to take care of those nasty burrs on the egde of sheet metal and holes in sheet metal.

2) Good pair of mechanics glove to worn when handling sheet metal. Better tactile feel and better fit to my hand than the more common "work" gloves.

I am sure there are others but those are the first two that come to mind.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

And another one,

3) A Jenny or hermaphrodite caliper. I always seemed to manage before I got one and often managed to get mess something up but the those mess ups are now far less common and I don't know how I managed without one.

cheers, Graham

Angle Grinder - apart from all the other uses it can vastly improve the appearance of newbie welding.

Hmmm. Clicked on the Google link and now I know that there are about 8 different types of chamfering tools that I was not aware of. Still not sure which one we are talking about here. ???

flick5848,

yea, not being completely ignorant I hit google before I asked the Question.
you sir have a predilection for stating to obvious.

Thanks - Scott

I believe it is the one that looks like a boring bar, but ground in such a way that it would make a poor boring bar :)

flick5848 said:

I sure hope your smart arse post doesn't put newer members off from posting questions for fear of a smart-alec reply like that.
Not all of us are engineers and there are a number of members that have only just figured out how to turn on a PC.
I always enjoy clever and witty replies to peoples posts but see no need for just smart-alec ones.

If you disagree please feel free to PM me as to keep this off the public boards.

Tony

tmuir said:
I sure hope your smart arse post doesn't put newer members off from posting questions for fear of a smart-alec reply like that.
Not all of us are engineers and there are a number of members that have only just figured out how to turn on a PC.
I always enjoy clever and witty replies to peoples posts but see no need for just smart-alec ones.

If you disagree please feel free to PM me as to keep this off the public boards.

Tony

I do disagree quite strongly.

The member asked the question " What is a chamfering tool " and I provided a link to give the information the member asked.

If quite a few of the members have just figured out how to turn on a PC then clicking my link was far easier that trying to explain how to use a search engine

Non of what I say is smart alec, clever or whitty and I dont appreciate you accusing me of being so based on one post you read wrong.

I will stay on the forum as I am very interested in the information and the projects here but I will keep my comments to a minimum based on this experience.

Regards
Chris

Most of the members on this forum are oriented toward helping other members who ask questions. So, flick5848's inappropriate reply aside, to answer ScottM's question, chamferring usually refers to relieving the sharp edge that results from machining a piece and is done for safetey or cosmetic reasons. It is usually done with either a bevel cutter (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h2964), or a roundover end mill
(http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=319-1469), but may be accomplished with any cutter that will chamfer
(http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=157&PMITEM=326-0191).

flick5848 said:

and I provided a link to give the information the member asked.
Non of what I say is smart alec, clever or whitty and I dont appreciate you accusing me of being so based on one post you read wrong.

Chris,

Afraid I have to disagree with you. I am not a newbie to message boards and have been around them for a long time. I know that the google link you provided is a put down. The link itself says "was that so hard" plus the rolling eyes in the smiley?

Give me a break. That type of response does not fly here. Luckily, we are forgiving to a point. Please refrain from that type of answer and arguments. Now, we are all adults so lets get back on topic and enjoy ourselves

Eric

Okay, stop.

I think my own response was sufficient. I almost put in the original question that I had already looked to the great and powerful google for an answer.

I should have asked "Exactly what kind of chamfering tool are you using, after all you can chamfer a part with
almost anything - use a rock to beat the edge off and it's now a chamfering tool (albeit a port one ;D )- I was actually wondering.
For a sec if the next post was a reply to me - I've used an angle grinder more than once to break an edge.

The reason I asked the question is the fact that John said
I now make neat consistent and repeatable chamfers every time.

So I want to know if he has something that I have not seen or thought of yet.

My apologies for the pore wording of the question.
I did direct the question directly to the OP.

Thanks - Scott

This is my chamfer tool I refered to - Hopefully that will get the subject back on track

John S

DSC_1607.jpg

John,

Thanks, and sorry for messing up your thread.

- Scott

Thanks John. That picture helped me out also. Didn't know there was a tool to do that since I just use a file. :-[

Been using one of those for that very reason for 23 years....just didn't call it that....should have! ;D

......OK Tools I never knew I needed

My toolpost mounted cross drilling fixture......I use it a lot!

My toolpost mounted cross drilling fixture......I use it a lot!

Hmmm, Interest spike, must have details, argggggggg, ;D

Sorry, just been watching the Simpsons.
Do you have any pics steamer? I imagine it's like a tool post grinder, not that I've seen one of those in real life either.

Phil
(newbie)

Latest posts

Back