Tiny Inline 4 Cylinder IC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Kel, that is something to be real proud of. th_wav

Ian (seagar)

Thanks for the great journey Kel.
A wonderful project comes to a great functional conclusion and the window dressing will just make it more special.
Gail in NM

Kel, absolutely amazing! What an achievement :bow: Sounds like it's on all 4 to me!

Nick

Another great build Kel, and an inspiration to the rest of us to start thinking multi cylinder multi builds!-----congratulations

John

Great job! It must be a heck of a feeling to finally hear it run.

Congratulations Kel!

You have done a great job and should be very proud.

Thanks for sharing the journey, up's and downs.

Congratulations Kel - well done indeed :bow: :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

What a great running engine. Well Done

Dave

Absolutely amazing Kel, and sounds amazing too, what an achievement!
Stew

Great job Kel. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Love the sound.

Ron

Beautifully done! I know well the great feeling when an IC engine is running well. Steam is always great, but an IC engine presents challenges a bit beyond a steamer.

I especially like your nicely engineered ignition - the distributor and cables. I very likely missed it, but where did you get (or make) those spark plug cables? I am constantly looking for nice, scale-looking rubber boots for the spark plugs.

Wow, I am truly impressed! Runs and looks great. Very nice work indeed.

Chuck

Thank you everyone for for kind words. I could not have done it without the help from the members on this forum. The feeling of getting an engine running is better than any drug. I am already Jonesing for another fix. :big:

Swede, the spark plug cables were from S&S. I made the boots from silicone R/C fuel tubing, then wrapped it in heat shrink tubing. The wire is just bunched up inside the fuel tubing, and makes contact with the top of the plug.

Well, I took the engine apart and mt suspicions of a foul cylinder were correct. There were indeed carbon deposits on three of the cylinders, and one was completely clean. I found that the intake valve was not sealing. So I relapped both valves in that cylinder. I will be resembling the engine later today. For now I want to remove a little material from the head around the pushrod holes. The rods are showing wear already. So I will decrease the length of the pushrod guide from 3/8" to about 1/4" or less.

Still Happy,

Kel

Kel,

Awsome! Truely impressive!

Bob

Can't be beat. Now you'll have to start it after work every night for the next year just to hear it run. It'll become an obssion if it already hasn't.

Congratulations Kel! :bow:

That's a sweet running four you built. I just love the sound, and all that rocker action! Simply beautiful!!! :big:

-MB

Kel,

Congradulations, on a very impressive build, the parts that you designed, and built, that went into that engine, is fantastic work, and a great loking engine as well as a great runner too.

This was a very informative and enjoyable thread, especially seeing that it was designed from scratch, that's impressive designwork, and build workmanship.

Very nice. When I first started modelling I was totally against petrol engines and thought them to be just very noisy and not that interesting, steam was the way to go.
Since then I have taken more of an interest in petrol models (probably when I could drive and ride a motorbike), but its projects like this that get me really hooked. All I need is more time (and retirement...anyone want to fund me?) and something like this is on my list of things to do.

It sounds great too ;D

Latest posts

Back