thinking mans engine help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackBat

Reaction score
So I got this engine prebuilt from someone with no instructions and I cannot get it to run. I have searched the net and found a build video, tore it apart, rebuilt it, checked and double checked timing and still did not get it to run, the only thing I did not do per the video is use ptf tape on the threads of the cylinder.
Anyone have some insight they would be willing to share?

Joe

Would help if you said if it were Steam, Sterling, Glow, spark, hit and hiss, etc

Or put up the link so we can see what it is

well i am guessing one of these:
image.php

A pmr #13 "Thinking mans engine"
http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3101&cat=5&page=1
I would contact PMR and ask if they can sell you a set of instructions.
There are three things I can think of that would prevent it from running
1) timing not set right.
2) friction :if it was pre machined not likely unless there is a piece of grit somewhere in the works.
a little oil maybe in the right places "verry little "
3) air leaks you may need to add that teflon
Hope this helps
tin.

What was the reasoning on foregoing the teflon tape? If the video had one putting it in place, it would seem foolish to not follow the instructions on doing so. Take it apart and us the tape upon reassembly and see if it makes a difference.

BC1
Jim

Stupid question: are you trying to get it to run in the correct direction?

Other questions: who built it, and how good a machinist are they? Has it ever been known to run?

Other questions: who built it, and how good a machinist are they? Has it ever been known to run?
These engines are pre Machined by PM Research. They are an assembly kit.

"Ideal for Thinkers age 10 to 99.
An ideal project for the beginning model builder. Easy to assemble and runs very well. All machining has been done for you."....
I would expect the fit finish and tolerances to be built in. IMHO more likely a timing or air leak issue.

checked and double checked timing and still did not get it to run,
Whoops need to read more carefully look narrowed to air leak as the culprit.
Tin

The original owner/assembler has long since past but had other projects as this that did function, I got this from his son, the heat cylinder has burn marks as if it had been run but is in reality; unknown. the tape was something I saw in a vid from u-tube, I do not believe it is in the actual instructions, and I wasn't sure it was a proper addition to the kit as it is so close to the heat source, but in the vid; that engine did run, so I will be trying it.
I just figured I would ask in case there was an inherent problem with these engines needing a common known "tweek" that I hadn't stumbled upon yet.
Thanks for your help guys, I will try the tape and update this thread.

Joe,

I have a 'pre-build' version of this engine (SOLAR-1) http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3094&cat=5&page=1 I inherited along with the accompanying "Stirling Cycle Engines" book.

I haven't had a chance to look for the book at home yet, but from memory one thing it states is to never oil the power piston or the displacement piston rod. I remember I naively did this once (before reading the book) and had to disassemble the engine and clean it out before it would run again.

One issue I do have with mine is that before I run it for the first time on a given day, I need to undo the bleed screw on the side of the power cylinder then do it back up, presumably to equalise the pressure inside the chamber? (I believe that was mentioned in the book somewhere too).

Tony.

Latest posts

Back