The Woodwright Shop - Screw Cutting Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConductorX

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Roy Underhill and the Woodwright shop on PBS. One of the episodes that just ran locally was called "Screw Cutting Lathe". He had a pedal powered metal lathe. It could actually cut threads and he machined some metal on it. First he made some threads then he made a center point out of steel to use on a wood lathe. All powered by the treadle.

If you have the chance to see the episode by all means do so. I searched You Tube for the episode with no luck.

My obligatory question is, can I buy such a lathe? Anyone know of an obscure shop that sells manually operated tools?

"G"

ConductorX,

I'm also a fan of Roy Underhill and that show. I like the idea that you don't have to purchase a shop full of expensive (sponsor-furnished) electric power tools to make things. The approaches to design and layout he uses often transfer well to some of the things people like us need to do for things to "look right."

Here is a link from PBS for the episode, but it needs a later version of the Flash player than I can install to watch it (I need to buy a new computer, but I seem to keep buying machining accessories and cutting tools instead. And let's not forget the price of Brass!)

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3200/3206.html

I'm sure my local PBS will replay the episode and I'll make a point to watch.

--ShopShoe

Like anything else you need to find someone that has one for sale.

I have seen a few over the years . One when I was young.

IIRC the R & T museum just obtained one . ad there is one at the hagley museum.
Antique tool dealers would be the most likely source but the highest prices.

Interesting video not bad for a guy who has had a lathe for two weeks.

two things that stick out the tool hight adjuster and the x or cross drive plate.
Tin

I dont know of any dealers, but they are on Ebay or Craigs list pretty often. Difficult to find one complete as they have mostly been "converted" to motor driven. Search Barnes Lathe. Practical machinist web site has a pretty active antique forum and they pop up for sale there sometimes too.
I found mine on the local CL. It is in pretty bad shape and missing all the treadle stuff, but I got it for $100. There is a guy that reproduces some of the parts, but its pretty spendy.

Latest posts

Back