The legend of the wobbler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naiveambition

Reaction score
Here is my first ever machining experience. Plans are to Elmer's 25 , changed only to vertical, due to material on hand. Took about 4 months total after learning to bore and find the beauty in a reamer. Engine has steel valve plate, aluminum cylinder with a brass piston. I know the combination is wrong for metals but this was just to see if I could do it or not.
I have no machine skills besides reading a couple old,old books and what I picked up on this site. So use this example, all of those scared to make a cut, go for it, if u mess up do it again. So a great thank to all of u who post there work here, since this is my first post, I have. Been learning from u for a long time and I'm sure their are many more like me

image.jpg

Would like to throw out there that I had many a problem trying to thread the pivot hole for the cylinder. I'm sure it's my limited knowledge but do they sell special taps for the kind of holes versus a thru hole that has the starter threads. With this one I made an interference cur and pressed them together. Seems to work fine.

To Naiveambition,

There are three taps that are in a series, tapper, plug, and bottoming. The bottoming tap has the threads to the end of the tap--well mostly aside from a small taper. If the the blind hole is in a metal that is soft like aluminum a plug tap can be used to start the threads and then finish with the bottoming tap. If the blind hole is not very deep in relation to the pitch of the thread ie. only a few threads deep, then another option or two is available. Depending on the situation after you have gotten the threads as deep as you can get with the bottoming tap you can grind the end down on the tap to remove the small taper section and then tap some more. Depending on the tap size, up to a whole thread can be gained. If you need just that extra bit more then there is even another trick that one can use. Drills have a point on the end, obviously, so after drilling the hole you can grind off the point and drill down so that the bottom is now flat. Combine all the techniques and you can get up to a thread and a half extra. This comes with a warning about the now ground tap, it doesn't work so well for its original task save it for other such blind holes.

The second option is to use right from the get go is a spiral flute tap. These taps can be used in a machine to do what is called power tapping. A drill press works. For these small threaded holes it is best to not use the motor to rotate the tap in a chuck rather use your hand to rotate the chuck with the drill press in neutral.

Your question may also be asking how to get the hole perpendicular to the face of the wobbler? If you have a mill then do all of the operations on the face including facing, drilling and tapping in one setup.

Not sure if this helps,

Daniel

Nice job, Naiveambition. The feeling from the first one can't be beat, except by the second one! How does it run?

Chuck

Last edited:
Great job on that wobbler. Keep it up in no time you will have a big collection. It's like a potato chip you can't just have one :D

Dave

aluminum cylinder with a brass piston. I know the combination is wrong for metals but this was just to see if I could do it or not

While brass in aluminum is not a great combo for an engine to be run on steam due to the different thermal expansion properties of these two metals, this combo will work in an air powered engine without any problems. I've run a few model engines for several hundred hours using this combination without a failure.

Congratulations on your first engine, and, as others have said, you now have some bragging rightsThm:

Cheers,
Phil

Wobblers are cool! Fun to build and fun to watch. Thanks for sharing with us.

Davyboy

Much to my surprise it took of the first time I put air to it. Not
Sure how much air pressure but guessin around 10. Was happy, happy happy.

Thanx everyone for your comments.

And your right cant have one. So now we move on to a marine engine. Trying todecide between Bogsstandard's build in metric which I am not familiar with or one in popular mechanics on johntom website in inches. Hmmm. Prob gonna have to sleep on this one. What u all think

Philjoe thanx for the info. I'm glad to hear I may be able to play with it a little longer. The child never seems to die out of us huh?.

Latest posts

Back