The Boxford Files

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****, you have the older Brookes Gryphon ? motor with the start point buried in the windings.
These are not designed to run on 240 volt single phase.
Two alternatives.
[1] Get local rewind company to bring the start point out as 3 wires or
[2] get a more modern motor that has links.

Got loads of motors kicking about but none under 1 Hp unless you can get this one to fit.

275Kwhousing.jpg

;D Just kidding.

Anyway I have no way of getting a motor to you short of the Warwick show and I dare say you want to get running before then. Maybe you can scrounge one, usually 3 phase motors can be had quite cheaply.

OK, looks like I've now got the wiring sorted, or I should have later on today, so .......... on ............. with the show .......

I've managed to rig up a little toolpost and the lathe sure turns aluminium nicely ............. and it made short work of a little CRS bar as well 8)

CC

As pointed out by JS  ??? I appear to have a wiring issue  ............. rather than press on and perhaps  do mi'self serious damage, I have engaged a professional electrician to sort this out ............ it took about an hour and I now have a lathe with very serious torque, for what it cost  (£30) I am very happy.  So .............. you lot out there ............ Please, if you need to wire up your Lathe or Mill or whatever, call in the professionals.

;)  CC

Right chaps .......... just to muddy the water a little more ......... ??? ............. look what's popped up on e(vil)bay

Just click on the happy chappie below

>> ;D <<

............. I'm not bidding ;)

CC

CC,
Now that you have that fine piece of British Iron up and running, and with the info supplied by John S. regarding gear cutting, you could make one of those things yourself.

ksouers said:
you could make one of those things yourself.

:eek: ............... seen any flying pigs recently
............... OK I'm game .......... and I'll send anything needing milling over to you so you can give that old American iron a bit of a workout :big: :D :big:

Cheers Kevin, nice thought but I feel more practice on my part is required first, John's post on gear cutting is dam good though, certainly one for me to file for future reference.

Back to the Boxford Metric TDI though .............. somewhere I found a picture of a real one ..... the 3 cogged version that is .......... now if I can just find where I've filed it

???

CC

Found it ;)

Metric3waytdi.jpg

Not something that crops up on eblag every week :mad:

for comparison this is the "alleged" Metric Boxford TDI .............

MetricTDI_Allegedly.jpg

CC

Funny thing is the Boxford book lists the metric one with two gears and they even publish a chart in the end cover to tell you which gears to use. ?

But this other one has 3 gears.

If you fancy making the 2 gear model then your lathe has a 3mm leadscrew which is as near as damn it 8 tpi.
I can blank a couple of 8tpi worms out on the hobber at 20 and 21 teeth next time I/'m doing some worm wheels for Ower Gert if you want.

Mmmm .......... sounds worth a try, many thanks John.

CC

Little did I know but Boxford as a company are still up and running, I thought they went out of business years ago, among other machinery they also produce CNC machinery for schools, industry ect.

dampy said:
they also produce CNC machinery for schools, industry ect.

Very nice it is too, but I dread to think how much a new CNC machine is :eek:

CC

Hey CC,

Got a new vise for the X2.

Wha'dya think?

tn_x2_vise.jpg

(I really shouldn't be allowed in the shop after a long day at work...)

ksouers, I think your choice of vise is a bit small for the machine. You will probably destroy the vise when using it with the X2. :big: ;D

Not had a lot of time in the shop at all recently, :mad: ............. but managed an hour or so today so had a play with the lathe ......... having chucked a 1/2" bar, with a live centre at the opposite end ................about 8" overall ............. I took a light skim off the bar and then dug out a micrometer .............. then dug (very) deep into the old memories to remember how to read a micrometer :( :eek: ;)

anyway ............. difference turned out (no pun intended :wall: ) to be 0.03mm ............ which my calculations tell me is just over a thou on the diameter 8)

so I'm adjusting nothing ............... I can live with that no prob's ;D

unfortunately it probably means any future errors in turning can't be blamed on the equipment ???

CC

That's not bad at all, Dave. My C2 tapers about .005 over the same length.

Sounds like a keeper ;D

Well as it's a quiet night I'll just update you lot with what I'm doing ............. fitting a new chuck ................
sad5.gif
............ OK hardly a hard task by general standards but don't forget I'm coming back to this after a 40 year break ............ and even then it was schoolboy stuff so I've not fitted a chuck before, well, not before last week anyway. And I went really slowly at the latter end but still managed to take a nad's too much off the spigot :( ......... only a couple of thou but, it certainly wasn't an interference fit ............. so ...............

What I have realised is I don't have anything capable of accurate measurement (95mm dia), my micrometers are 1" and 2" (25/50mm) and digital callipers certainly don't cut it ............ so ............ tonight I've taken the spigot a couple of mm deeper and not quite as narrow, over the last hour I've taken a further 2 thou off the spigot diameter in very small stages (about 6 cuts) and it seems to be almost there ............ so the backplate is in the freezer and the chuck is in the oven .............. and now for the "pop quiz"

I know Chicken is 20mins a lb + 20 mins over, but how long do you cook a 4lb steel 3 jaw chuck for :( ........... ;D :big: ;D

I'll stick at it lads, if I miss it this time though, duck; cos' a 5" chuck could be winging it's way thro' the computer screen ???

CC

CC,

Hope you have success with the spigot coz the duck will take less time per lb than the chicken.
LolLolLolLol.gif

You'll get there.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back