The Biggest Operating Rotative Beam Steam Engine at Crossness

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In truth the machinery we use here building our engines is just smaller, than was used in 1865. Although instead of vertical mills they used boring mills, where the table rotated, tool was fixed, and, planere and shapers, used by a few here. It is just that everything is so much bigger than we use, but todays industry could dupe any of those engines, but there is no point to ever do it.

I know what you mean Tom,

I saw the biggest mill I have ever seen in the flesh today. The table had a capacity of 160,000 pounds!

The horizontal spindle had 3 stories of vertical travel. there were massive steam turbine parts on it that were to spend 6-11 WEEKS on it being machined!

These parts would probably be easy. I would have loved to watch the old timers make these originally...with the tools they had ...like files and chipping hammers and chisels. No CNC then , just a steady hand and a heap of experience learned the old way from some master .....I wouldn't have minded just being a fly on the wall to watch! ....

Dave

Tom/Dave, these are my thoughts exactly. Yes, modern technology
could reproduce something of this magnitude. But then (as there is now), requires
A signifacant amount of craftsmanship (& "feel".)
Basically what I'm saying is, it just blows my mind creating something like
that in it's era.

I often wonder how machines were created before there were machines to
create them.

By large burly men of talent....not much different than today....we just have different tools.

Dave

Makes one wonder just how the craftsmen of that period handled such an undertaking. TRULY a daunting task even now! A beautiful piece of machinery. It is nothing less than a monument attesting to the skill of the men who designed and built it.

Thanks for sharing that Chuck, it is a beautiful engine and still in its original setting. And your video is also a work of art - it really showed the whole thing to perfection.

And yes, I look at those engines and marvel at the workmanship and the sheer scale. But then last night on the TV was one of the Megabuilders programs showing the Samsung shipyard in Korea assembling a huge oil tanker/ice breaker in 10 weeks. They had never built such a vessel before, they looked so young, and parts were coming from Finland and Russia. The propulsion pods had to be fitted to the vessel to within the sort of tolerances we work to. And they did it.

I never cease to be amazed.

Jim

And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon a third of the rivers, and upon the springs of water; And the name of the star is called Wormwood:

The 11th revelation.

Best Regards
Bob

Back