The Biggest Operating Rotative Beam Steam Engine at Crossness

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That engine produces 125 horse power at 11 revelations per minute.

It was built almost 200 years ago and it still runs.
Absolutely amazing!

What horse power does the average automobile engine produce at 5000 RPM?
How much fuel does it use to get to that level?

Filling the fuel tank of an automobile costs more than a ton coal does
even today.

This is progress???

Rick

They certainly don't build them like they used to - and by that I'm refering not to the technology but the overall degree of craftsmanship and pride that went into the entire structure - the multicoloured brickwork Victorian architecture, the detail on all the cast iron lattice work even little gargoyles on the column capitals - the whole place is a feast for the eyes.

As opposed to modern utility buildings - Gulag Architecture.

Next time I'm in UK I'm definately going to visit.

Ken

Well

At 125 HP @ 11 rpm

125 = 2 x pi x 11 x T / 33000

solving for T

59000 pound feet of torque! (and change)

Those are mighty big Clydesdale horses....not those little gerbil horses!

Dave

That engine produces 125 horse power at 11 revelations per minute.

Sorry but what exactly is being revealed 11 times per minute :eek: ;)

Being dyslexic myself I really shouldn't, but this one is too good to let go ....

Excellent video - thanks!

I think I need a bigger (MUCH BIGGER) lathe to make one of those!

Oh and hey Rick! Gotta bone to pick here

It's MY job to mispell stuff on this board!......and Marv's job to come up with the comic relief while pointing it out......glad we got that straight 8)

Dave

mklotz said:
An engine of truly biblical proportions. :)

For those of you that worship at the Steam Cathedral, that's from the Steam Bible book - Revelations

::) :p

mklotz said:
And a fine job you're doing too. (mis-s-pell)

I was wondering how long it would take you to see that one....tsk tsk...your slipping Marv.... ;D

Dave

rake60 said:
Spell Check said it was OK! :noidea:

If one really butchers the spelling of a word, it's quite possible that the word the checker suggests is not the word one intended. One needs to actually read the suggested word.

Not saying that you are capable of this level of butchery, Rick. Just saying... :)

If you think my spelling is bad you should see my figerin.

I mean mathematical calculation skills. ::)

Rick

That really is amazing. I would LOVE to see the machines & process used in creating this.
could you just imagine the SIZE of the micrometers used to check the size of the parts?
Wow...

John

At the age of the engine, they didn't have micrometers...probably just calipers...and a good "feel".

Dave

Good point.

Amazing craftsmanship. Could you imagine pulling off that build in this day?
without todays technology?

John

I've got to believe there are people in the world who could do that the old way....at least I hope so.

That's a fine piece and the "finger tip technology" that went into is just as much a treasure as the engine itself.

Dave

Back