The ABS function on iGaging scales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
The instructions merely say:

"ABS: Set increment (INC) (relative) zero"

Huh? Can someone explain? Maybe some examples? ::)

Hello dgjessing,

ABS stands for absolute. Lets say the bottom left corner of the part is 0-0. You would find these edges and then zero the DRO. This would be done in "ABS" mode.

Now lets say you need to make a 2 holes 1 inch apart, with the first hole .5" from both the X and Y. You would move your table until you are at the .5" from both sides. Then you would hit the "INC" (Incremental) button and zero the display again. Now you can move the table 1". The display will read 1.000", but you are actually 1.500" from the edge of the part. If you toggle between ABS and INC you will see the numbers change from 1.000" to 1.500"

Basically, ABS is the Very edge of the work piece, and INC is for distances between features.

Hope that cleared things up.

Kel

I usually set Abs 0,0 to the left end of my vise's fixed jaw, or whichever vise stop I'm using. Then I'll use INC for everything else.

Thanks, you guys - I see what it's for now. Mine don't seem to be working correctly though... Switching from INC to ABS will indeed show the two different values, but when I then go back to INC it zeros out. That is, the act of toggling from one to another mode zeros the stored INC value. The ABS value is preserved, but INC is lost. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Latest posts

Back