Testing a useful adhesive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
Two 1/16" thick steel coupons...

LOCTITE1.jpg

Degrease throughly with carburetor cleaner. Clamp together tightly. Apply three drops of Loctite 420 to the joint WHILE CLAMPED.

LOCTITE2.jpg

Wait 24 hours. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the waiting. :)

Attach glued coupons to chain and suspend 11 lb. lead brick* from them...

LOCTITE3.jpg

as proof of the bond's ability to resist strain.

OK, what's the application?

The crankshaft for the steam roller is made up of subassemblies. These subassemblies are assembled with Loctite (609) and then pinned. The subassemblies are connected with interference fits then mounted on the lathe and aligned using a DTI. Once aligned, they're moved to the mill and drilled and pinned to maintain the alignment.

The problem is maintaining the alignment during the drilling and pinning operations. I can't use Loctite when assembling the (hammer adjustable) interference fits because it sets up too quickly.

What's needed is a strong adhesive that can wick into an already assembled joint and freeze it with enough "grab" so that the drilling and pinning won't disturb the alignment.

Most cyanoacrylate glues won't wick worth a tinker's dam. Apparently Loctite is aware of the problem and has produced this (new to me) product to overcome this limitation. Knowing that Loctite makes good products (insert standard disclaimer here), I bought some of the 420 and did the proof test described above to see if it might solve my problem. It looks like it might.

I can think of a number of modelmaking situations where a strong wicking adhesive would be very useful. This stuff isn't cheap - about $23 per oz. (hey, cheaper than perfume or printer ink) but it has the potential to solve a lot of problems.

--

* Before somebody asks, the lead brick is from my backyard model of Fermi's original nuclear reactor. :) Just kidding, but it is from a research project I did at university.

Marv. Loctite also makes a wicking threadlocker that is used for assembled fasteners. I've used "290" medium strength and have great results.I don't know if loctite makes a high strength grade or not.Threadlocker gives you a work time a lot longer than Ca. I usually fixture up my assembly then add a drop of 290, it sets up good enough for me to check alignments in about 4 hrs. If your not happy, heat will aid in disassembly for an other try. I really like the loctite products. Dale

Hi Marv, looks like it could have some great applications. My only questions is, do they specify what the wicking space is. If you make a size for size (not press) fit so that the parts stay in good alignment it seems like nothing would wick into the space.
Thanks,
George

Latest posts

Back