Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think 1/2 inch would cover all the lengths. On my parts the 1/4 inch will be long enough.

Dave

I thought I'd found them but when I ordered the size magically changed to 6-32. Had to cancel it. Where did you source yours Dave?

Chuck

Back to fasteners for the build. Will a box of 2-56 x 1/2" be sufficient? I know 1/2" will work for the crank rod I made. I need to order a box as my local suppliers do not stock that size. What are you guy's using? Black, SS? I plan to build a tool/jig to chuck what ever size I get to cut off/turn to shorter lengths where needed. Do we need nuts also?

Chuck
Not sure what I will be using ... probably will wait. Use what I have on hand to assemble then see what looks best ... Black or SS. Once decided will cut to length then replace. Black looks good but will stand out against the aluminum, but SS will blend in ... so maybe make some Brass hex screws that way I have complete control.

I just finished threading another set of side panels ... 3 sets are done 7 to go. Takes about a hour to do each set. Got to be real careful ... don't want to break a tap.:eek:

Later,

Pat H.

Hello team,
A quick note to let you know I'm still here, have gotten my work load down to a managable level and can resume work on my parts. Sounds like I will be tail end charlie on this build. The crank parts are finished and ready for
silver solder, then on to flywheels. Pat, I use ready made engraving bits from msc and a few other suppliers. Thirty degree with .005 nose flat work
well on Al. if you have a lot of RPM available. Maverick would be fine for mine.

Maverick

I found SS Hex Head 2-56 x 3/4" at fastener-express.com for $15.35 box of 100, including shipping, so I think I'm set.
Hurry up postman!

Chuck

Chuck, Im sorry it took so long to get back with where I get my small hardware. I see you found some. This is where I get them http://www.microfasteners.com/

Dave

Put my parts on the US POST OFFICE mail donkey this afternoon. To my friends north of the border they said may take a week.

Dave

Maverick,

Great to hear that all is well and you're moving forward. A few days ago I ordered 3 engraving bits ... 30 degrees with a .010" flat tip ... at the time
I thought the .005 might be too fragile. We'll see. My speed is 6000 rpm max. I should have them by next Wednesday or so. Anyway thanks for your input.

My progress,

Just finished drilling and tapping the 2-56 holes on the side panels ... all 120 of them. No broken taps! :D:D Now I have to drill the 2 mounting holes,
clean them up a bit and I'm ready for the engraving! Getting close.

Speaking of engraving I was just wondering :rolleyes: ... how about a plaque with all ours names etc? Instead of engraving the actual side panel.
It was mentioned early on and then again by Chuck a few posts back and I'm getting to like the idea.

Comments?:)

Guess what came in mail the today? My 1st parts by Chuck. Looking good!

Looks like Dave was next in mailing ... anybody else getting close? :)

Later with a few more pictures.

Pat H

Last edited:
Pat, I would go with whatever is the easiest. I like a plaque as well.

Dave

More parts came in today ... joe d 's steam chest stuff.
Joe ... nice polishing job and very well made. Thm:Thm:
So small compared to my side panels :eek:.

Also received my engraving bits, came 4 days earlier then I thought :). So now I will be able start engraving.

Finished the mounting holes. Now for clean up ... plan on a brush look. But I will leave some edge work for you guys. :cool:

Maverick ... what depth do you engrave at ... .003 or so? That .010 tip is so small. :eek: Remember I can only go to 6000 rpms.

Later,
Pat H.

Pat, With a .010 tip width, .005 deep will be a good place to start.
Your line width will increase with depth so the letter height is the limiting factor, too deep and the lines run into each other. A brushed finish is the easiest way to deburr the engraving and looks
great too. Use flood or mist coolant and make 2 passes when cutting for clean sharp engraving.

Regards,
Maverick

Maverick,

Thanks for the input. I'm will be practicing engraving tomorrow ... hope not to break my new tools (got 3 just in case).

My plan is to start out at a depth of .005" step over of .005" speed 5000 rpms and a feed of say 4 ipm. Plunge feed to depth will be 2 ipm. Repeat at a depth of .010". I'll only do a few letters at a time at the start to see how it goes. Make adjustments then try the real thing! :rolleyes:

If you see anything bad ... let me know. :hDe:
Thanks,

Pat H

Last edited:
WooHoo! got parts today! Most appropriately, I opened the base first! Love the finish on the beam. Looking great! Thanks Dave. Also received Joe's steam chest. Beautiful work guys! Can't wait to get more parts. It's like Christmas in February!.

Chuck

FWIW Dept. I found a M5 counter sink head cap screw that fits the head of my 2-56 hex head screws. I will use it to make a socket driver for my screws! Now to figure out a jig for cutting down the screws for the various lengths required. Maybe a tapped plate, or something like that.

Chuck

Thanks for the kind words chuck. I too think its Christmas in February :D

Ps chuck I use a stepped tap plate with several holes in it. I think I have 3 steps 1/8 to 3/8 thick this covers most lengths. If I need longer I put washers on to add length.

Dave

Guess what ... got another package full of parts.

Nice job Dave, that Rocking Beam rocks.:D:D

Since my panels are almost done (needs sanding etc) I was able to test fit
the Corian base and Spreader Bars ... Perfect Fit. And looks great
with the contrasting black Corian. Nice, nice .....:)

Also started a test run for the engraving ... good news is it really looks nice. No tool breakage although I decided to feed at 2.8 instead of 4.
Bad news ... can't really get all our names and location on the plaque, the width is 3.5" , height is about 3". So back to each plaque will have the builders names only :(.
Tomorrow I should be able to post a picture ... if anyone any suggestion please let me know ... time is running short.

Anyone else nearing shipping? I should be shipping early next week.:cool:

Later,

Pat H.

Pictures pat!!!!!!!! Pictures Pictures Pictures. Lol

Dave

Hey folks. I noticed while playing with Dave's parts, that I didn't cut the clevis on my crank rod deep enough. It doesn't rotate freely on the beam. Sorry about that. Guess I'll have to set it up in the mill again.
I will go back and check my dimentions against the plans and see if it was just my error or if the dimentions of my parts were off. Are we going to incorperate findings like this in the drawings?:hDe:

Chuck

Back