Tangential tool wood results.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcostello

Reaction score
I made a TT and tried it on some Hard Maple parts for a customer.I hope that it is not heresy to mention wood on a metal working forum!:hDe::fan:The results were very good with very minimal sanding required. I have a bigger South Bend lathe and was not running near top speed, around 450 RPM, .0035 FPR. Posting this in casw it helps someone else be more productive.

I use my metal turning lathe regular for turning wood. Works great, but I make sure that I have the vacuum cleaner at hand to get rid of the dust imidiately after turning. Were the results better than with other tools? And what type of tool was in the holder? HSS? Usually the speed is a lot higher for wood turning, but this also depends on the diameter of the parts.

We seem to be missing the background knowledge of engineering because engineers turned their own patterns for their work.

Most lathes came with a handrest upon which turners rested their wood turning tools. However, watch and clockmakers still use simple rests and things like a diamond shaped turning tool for metal and others for wood. The word is 'a graver'

One can use ordinary tool posts with ordinary common or garden metal turning tools where one usually increases the rake.

At this point, readers should be reading posts which describe making D Bits which work equally well on wood. It is no great thing, it is rather pleasant to have a bit of lignum vitae or african blackwood in the lathe and then polish one's work using the natural greases from the turnings.

Nijmegen- a Bridge too far? I've been to Oosterbeck.

Cheers

Norman

I made a TT and tried it on some Hard Maple parts for a customer.I hope that it is not heresy to mention wood on a metal working forum!
What do you think patterns are made of?
:hDe::fan:The results were very good with very minimal sanding required. I have a bigger South Bend lathe and was not running near top speed, around 450 RPM, .0035 FPR. Posting this in casw it helps someone else be more productive.

Casw?

I now have time to post a picture, but it won't do much good as "Feel a Vision" does not seem to be installed on this computer. No sanding on the main parts, just a light brush on the edges. Second Picture is a Carbide square nose tool ground to work in the TTH. I turn abrasive plastic as a repeating job. The plastic laughs at HSS, with moderate wear. Using Carbide shows no wear. Since the edge joint is now in shear I would not expect it to take much of a cut in steel or Aluminum risking a tool break.

maple bushing.jpg

carbide tool.jpg

Latest posts

Back