Taking a break from the machine shop... Tree House? Is This a Treehouse?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Lee

Reaction score
My 8 year old grandson said "Papa Can we make a tree house?" There are two problems... First, there are no trees on his property and second, his three sisters want one too... I think i solved it by giving him an elevated clubhouse and then used the empty space below for his sisters.... I hope I satisfied all of them...

file-2.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-8.jpg

OK.... Now back to my shop!!!!

Harold

I bet that you are now the most popular "Papa" in Worden, Il. The grand kids will treasure that for years. Looks to me like a job well done and fitting for another project of the month award. Thanks for sharing it with us. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Excellent clubhouse Harold!!!

I have to ask about the roofs centre beam jutting out like that.
Is that for future use for a block and tackle to hoist machines into the clubhouse? :big:

Andrew

Thanks for the compliments....

lazylathe said:
SNIP...
I have to ask about the roofs centre beam jutting out like that.
Is that for future use for a block and tackle to hoist machines into the clubhouse? :big:

Andrew

That is a very astute observation... Actually they want me to put a Zip line in to the house about 50 feet away. As soon as I can figure out how to bubble wrap them I am going to install it.

Harold

Wow, that is really cool!

Now if you doubled the width and length, you could put the shop on the first floor and live on the second floor.

Chuck

cfellows said:
Wow, that is really cool!

Now if you doubled the width and length, you could put the shop on the first floor and live on the second floor.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck... Lemme think a bit... 8 foot wide by 6 feet deep.... That is only four feet short of 100 ft/sq... That is plenty of room to put a 7X14 lathe, a minimill downstairs and a cot and ice chest upstairs... The next time I'm in the doghouse with my wife I'll consider that... Let's see, where were those 100 ft extension cords... Hmmm.... Dear, can I come in for a minute and get a small chunk of 12L14? I'll take my shoes off and not track up the floor...

"Papa" done good. Splendid job and the little ones agree judging by those big smiles.

Totally awesome Harold !!! Thanks for sharing the picture...and the kids smiles say it all!!!

Bill

Longboy said:
.............is that tree house gas powered, or steam? :D

My daughter keeps joking about that and wondering when the electric lines would be put in... Actually I was thinking about getting a couple of those solar powered globe shaped garden lights for $4.99 at Wally World and making porch lights with them...

b.lindsey said:
SNIP... and the kids smiles say it all!!!

Bill
Herbiev said:
SNIP... the little ones agree judging by those big smiles.

Bill & Herbie... There are actually four but the three year old had not finished her dinner and could not come out for the pictures...
BUT I did get her smile as well from inside the house...

file-24.jpg

Harold,

You are a man of many talents :bow: :bow: :bow:

My grandad made me a ping pong bat................Still IMHO it was the best ping pong bat in Lancashire ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
SNIP.. My grandad made me a ping pong bat................Still IMHO it was the best ping pong bat in Lancashire ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Thank you Bob... There were a number of firsts for me on this project that took a little longer than a month. I have never installed vinyl siding but spent a lot of evenings on the internet trying to figure it out. The second part is trying to build something that probably took twice as long by using the Gkids as "Slave Labor".. It was frustrating, fun, and time consuming since many things were done twice. I had to keep telling myself over and over.... "Remember Harold, we are making more than a treehouse, we are making a lifetime of memories"... Your ping pong bat proves my point since it was probably many years ago and will outlive the physical lives of those that participated. Your memories only reinforce my determination. Thank You!!!

Beautiful grandkids and great house!!! I showed my grand daughters today and they thought it was really great.----Brian

Very nice Gramps,
I'm sure they will get lots of enjoyment out of their new club house.

I used to live in a village where they would not allow any out buildings, fences, gazebos, etc... They claimed since the creek ran through my property it was a hazard due to possible flooding and it was the Dept. Of Transportation's jurisdiction to decide whether I could erect a fence or not.
Long story/short... I put up a fence, erected a huge shed, and a swimming pool. A couple of months go by and the village people came knocking on the door to cite me for building without a permit. I had my day in court. Now there are fences, sheds, tater tots, and what not all over town.
Alan

Brian, Frazer - Thanks for the comments... Like you Brian, I was burnt out since this past winter, I had made my Topsy Turvy, the Pioneer Engine and picked up my Steam Tractor to complete... It was a bit difficult to stay focused, and motivated. The sunshine, fresh air and manual labor was as much a benefit to me as it was for the kids. There were a few days my hands were too sore and cracked to work but I think I only missed two weekdays in the month. Of course the weekends were off for relaxing.

miner49r said:
Very nice Gramps,
I'm sure they will get lots of enjoyment out of their new club house.

I used to live in a village where they would not allow any out buildings, fences, gazebos, etc... They claimed since the creek ran through my property it was a hazard due to possible flooding and it was the Dept. Of Transportation's jurisdiction to decide whether I could erect a fence or not.
Long story/short... I put up a fence, erected a huge shed, and a swimming pool. A couple of months go by and the village people came knocking on the door to cite me for building without a permit. I had my day in court. Now there are fences, sheds, tater tots, and what not all over town.
Alan

Alan - I might be surprised but the village of Worden has a population of 950 people (we don't even have a gas station or traffic lights). We live among the corn and soybean fields and there are storage sheds, tool sheds, pump houses, barns, gazebos, pole buildings, green houses etc. all around. Like you, perhaps someone else has already blazed the trail but I suspect no one really cares. While I was building it, many people passing by would honk, give me a thumbs up, wave, or give me a high five... The joke in town was I was going to get a visit from OSHA since I was using my 3 to 8 year old kids as my laborers... You should have seen them hustling roofing shingles up the ladders to me. The first thing I did with the kids was practice the "headache" drill where they would duck and run if I yelled "Headache!!!"... No one got hurt and I suspect OSHA, IDOT, and the lot have their hands full.... Al least I hope so...

Harold

Latest posts

Back