Tailstock Issues

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
Went to do some drilling with the tailstock today and when it hit the face it took a little dive of centre ??? pulled back and check everything was tight. Tailstock was tight on the bedways but the barrell bit moves about in the main casting. I haven't measured it yet but it is visible withe the eye. Anyone had this issue before? I haven't pulled it apart yet so I don't know if it is the barrell or the casting. Not happy. Its a Hafco Metalmaster AL330a.

Brock

The quill is wobbling in the tailstock casting. Found the right name ::)
Brock

Hi Brock
Before u pull anything apart, check that both the headstock and the tailstock are lined up with the ways.
My headstock has adjusters frount and back and who knows if something is out it could course a bit of a wobble maybe :-\
Pete

I last set my tailstock about 6 months ago with a DTI Got it down to no visible movement over 700mm with a precision ground bar borrowed from a mates machine shop. I am going to rip it apart tomorrow and measure everything up. Just had a thought could I put in a flanged linear bearing after obvious modifications? What is in a heavy duty tailstock like a CNC maybe.

Brock

Got a South Bend Heavy 10 that had a similar issue. The main problem was the key that that keeps everything lined up was well worn and was about 2" long when it should have been about 5" long. Hope you solve your problem, having the tailstock jump around can/will make you say bad words.

OK Wobbling or rotating? Wobbling tells me the fit between the quil and the housing is not so good.

Dave

Excellent post it is too!
Is this the issue?

Dave

This is the issue. I found your post last night John and read the whole thing. Lots of good step by step info and could be the fix I need. Going to do some more checking today to isolate the wear hopefully it is the casting not the quill.

Brock

Just been looking at the job The ways on my machine are not flat so getting the datum a-la Bogs way will be a bit harder. I do some machining and think about it.

Brock

The other thing to check Brock, is the TS base. If your quill is worn, the base is too probably....You may want to fit that to the bed first, before tackling the quill or the bore.

Just a thought...do you have a bigger lathe or mill available?

Dave

Latest posts

Back