Taig vs Shirline

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.BRAXMAIER

Reaction score
I know this has already been asked some were, I want a small lathe for smaller items, so i dont have to change over my bigger lathe, I like the power feed that taig offers but i really like the dc motor on the shirline. Thanks for your time, oh one more thing will these have venders at the NAMES show in MI. maybe i could just buy one up there. ???

Both are good machines for their size, its just a matter of comparing features and deciding on which one fit your needs better. Look also at available accessories for each machine. Sherline does offer a power feed but it is non-reversing and offers only one speed. I have used Sherlines for 13+ years now and have been pleased, but that is not to detract from the Taig machines at all. Not sure who will be at NAMES, Sherline often attends these events, but I am sure others may have more info on vendor attendance.

Best wishes in making your decision.

Bill

I have a Taig lathe and mounted a Sherline motor on it. The Taig even thas a "T" slot on the backside of the headstock that works great, just bolt the Sherline motor mount bracket to it with 2 "T" nuts.
Just bore out a Sherline pully to fit.
The Taig power feed looks interesting, might pick one up soon.

Hello C.B.

I've had both, in lathes and milling machines.
There are very few negatives for either brand of lathe. When it comes to accuracy, they are equals. The two companies take a different view on what they want to produce for the public, but in the end, the machines will do very similar work. Both lathes are a good example of how to make a quality machine.

I happen to like the Taig better, and it's what I currently own, but was very pleased with my Sherline, too. Most of what I like more about the Taig is just personal preference.

If you decide on the Taig, just buy the lathe without the motor, and put your own DC motor on it. A good DC motor and controller can be had for around $100-125.

See the link below my signature. Almost everything on those pages were made with my Taig machines. Almost everything there could have been made with Sherlines, (some was).

You'll probably like whichever one you choose. They're both good.

Dean

Back