Suitable material for nut to run on stainless steel thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1

Reaction score
I need to make some special nuts to screw onto a 3/16 BSF thread that is only 0.275 inches long cut on 316 stainless steel. The material for these nuts need to be machinable and very wear resistant as the typical life cycle would involve the nuts being screwed on and off about 5000 times. I am wondering about Nickel aluminium bronze (NES 833/CW307G) or Silicon Aluminium Bronze (DGS 1044/CW307G) both of which are available locally in 9/16 diameter which is just right for the part. Any suggestions as to the suitability of this material or any suggestions for something better would be most welcome.

Regards
Richard

Chromium copper? Or even Monel/Inconel Nickle. The copper would be a bear to machine though.
even chilled cast iron would work, but that I think would shatter if over torqued.
Kermit

ps.I leak test a pressure testing assy we(my workplace) sells for jet engine maintenance. All the nuts and thread are 304/304L stainless. A very liberal application of copper or manganese 'anti-sieze' is required, and does an excellent job of preventing galling. Just letting you know a stainless nut could be used if an anti-sieze lube is applied and maintained as needed.

Hi,

I agree with Kermit,as to materials and that the antisieze compounds works wonders...but I would still avoid stainless on stainless on general principle....its amazing how easily they weld themselves together through gauling. If you live through getting one off the other, you will understand why. Depending on the application and the people maintaining the antisieze compound...it may get maintained...it may not. But I can't answer that. A testing lab would be the exception as you have some control over the process.

An aluminum bronze would work as it is known for its anti-gualing properties.....but I would still use a lubricant.

By way of example, the wheel nuts on a Rolls Royce are Aluminum Bronze.

Is this a corrosive environment?.....additionally I would look up the two prospect materials as they relate to each other on the galvanic scale.

I hope the lathe is up to the task...neither 316 or Al Br are not very friendly.

Make sure the finish on the threads is very good...they will wear much longer.

Dave

Latest posts

Back