Steam Locomotives

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,
Yes I assumed that, a foregone conclusion on my part. My meaning was that IF you were to order prints from the USA they would almost certainly be for 7.5"ga and you might (or might not) be able to convert them to 7.25", depending upon the loco. What would be your standard equivalent track gauge in Germany, 18cm? Or would you use 7.25"?

Hello Harry,

this track is designated in Germany as 184 mm. Sometimes even in metric Germany its also called 7,25 Zoll (= 7.25").
This is prob the most used track in big gauge model railroading clubs of Germany.

Mike

Dave : wow over 400 euros for the plans . I know saves time on conversion etc. Maybe I am spoiled but here in the USA we can buy all 5 of the KOZO books for $220 US . not that I have time to build 5 locos maybe one or two.
Tin

Yes, it is a bit serious isn't it? And pretty much what would put me off that design, although I could just design it myself and use their castings, more work though. I don't think that sort of price is typical though, at least not in the UK - I have 2 sets of drawings for 7.25" locos and they were both around £70 (80 euros/$110?)

Another suggestion: The 'Phantom' loco that was serialised in Australian Model Engineer - an American style 2-6-0 tender loco, all in metric. I'm not sure who sells the plans but you can just buy the back issues of the mag and get the plans that way.

http://www.ikoneng.com/trains.htm
http://www.ameng.com.au/main.htm

The Phantom is a Kiwi. We have a couple of variants in our club. A Dave Giles design contactable via the Ikon link

Pete

Mike,

You may alos want to take a look at a dutch site. http://www.modelbouwers.nl/pdf/Catalogus stoom.pdf

There are three 7.25 locomotives listed there. One tram locomotive(with the note at it only contains limited dimensions so probably not a very good starter project), one simple narrow gauge freelance locomotive (B) and one that may be most interesting to you given the fact you are located in germany, a br64 (1c1). Naturally the most impressive (to me) of those is also the biggest project.

It should be easy to find these from this catalog, the numbers are international and assuming you speak german also the dutch should be sufficiently decipherable.

For most of the models in this catalogue there is a dutch series of articles with build instructions. Btw, for the br64 this would be the build intructions for the 5.25 version, but the essence would still be the same.

Pricing is 75 for the br64 and 179 for the B.

Henk
http://www.modelbouwers.nl/pdf/Catalogus stoom.pdf

Thank You very much, Tin :)

Very interesting for me, because I have never seen detail drawings of a steam locomotive's parts. Neither in full size nor model size.

It will give me a lot f useful information, even if we don't build a Virginia. Just to see how parts are designed in a model steamer is really helpful.

Mike

The american 4-4-O was a popular style made by several companies Baldwin Rogers etc. and the Virginia is a model of that type not a true model of an actual engine . but a little paint and added detail I expect it could be.

11%20Reno%201910_small.jpg

Tin

For Bastelmike
Maybe this is a little late, but I'm no computer 'type' and I've just joined.
Perhaps what I've got to offer might help. I'd agree with most of the other posts about plans as being expensive, but you can always buy just the 'bits' you need. I find my builds in 5" gauge (1 inch to the foot) are nearly always restricted by locally available materials. I live in Australia and I do envy you guys in the Northern half, where almost anything is available.
Given available materials, it has been the case that most deviations from established designs have simplified construction. The 'core' of the original designs are essentially there., for example, valve gear layout(s), but pretty much everything else is adapted to suit local conditions, my (limited) abilities and available machinery.
I started with a design from the UK called Sweet Pea and while it was one of the 'simpler' designs, it was certainly no easy ride. A few years down the track, I've dismantled its boiler and am rebuilding it to allow more steam space and including a dome, as priming has been a problem.
You have mentioned boilers and I would suggest you Google up The Australian Miniature Bioler Safety Committee (AMBSC), which has published a very good set of 'codes' for both copper and steel boilers. I don't think you'll go far wrong in following their codes. To the best of my knowledge, the AMBSC is alone with such an offering. I could stand corrected.
My boilers are in 4mm copper. I rolled the barrels and silver-soldered most of the seams, with some bronze brazing. Tubeplates and other platework is hand beaten over steel formers.
Plans can be obtained from Reeves in the UK. There's another in the Sweet Pea stable called Sweet William and it's in 7-1/4" gauge. Reeves has another called Aquila, from which I'm using sections of the design. Reeves have many, many more.
Personally, 7-1/4" gauge makes a very large model, of whatever type. Such a size of model is a real issue when it comes to handling. Some of the larger types can weigh in at well over a tonne. The machinery for such a beast need to be larger; at least larger than mine! Also track must have generous radii, certainly more generous than my 5" track, with 11m minimum radius.
Good luck!
Wazrus
:D

Latest posts

Back