steam engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff Ian.

This is the type of engine I'm seriously considering for a boat/engine project I'd like to do some day.

It looks like the silver soldering is going well.

You've got that silver soldering well nailed now Ian, they look great.

Expect to do a bit of fine tuning on the spool valve positions (up/down), but it should run with things a fair way out, so that should be left until final assembly.

It really is looking good.

John

Nice one Ian. :bow: :bow:

Looking forward to seeing the video. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

The second clip looks like it is a very smooth engine, Ian. Really a nice runner.
Thank you for the vids, and congrats!

Dean

This is a very nice looking engine and a great build log. I saw these plans a while back and have been studying them closely. One of these could end up in a Gauge 1 live steam locomotive someday.

Thanks for sharing all this. Bob

Looks good to me!

A little running in and tuning and it'll run nicely on ridiculously small amounts of air, especially if you o-ring the pistons.

Update on magic powder and broken taps-- It works! Thanks for the tip fella's.

The offending item has now been dissolved out of the mounting hole which means I dont have to re make the part. There is still some in the tapped hole, but thats not an issue as I think I can rotate the gland by 45 deg .

It took a while,(about a month), but it didnt hold me up as I was working on the other engine.

Ian

When I started on this project, I was working with the hope of 50% success rate, hence two engines. The intent was to make the mistakes on No.1 and end up with one good one plus some spare parts.

Well, today I spent fiddling with No.2 engine, and it also runs! In fact I think it runs a little better than No. 1

I havent posted any pics/video as they are identical. When I get them running together I will post a vid.

Ian

congrats Ian, nice running engine
waiting to see them running in pairs :)

Here we have both engines completed, assembled, run in on air but awaiting strip/clean before steam run.

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Very nice indeed Ian.

As far as I know, of the many versions of this engine that has been built, no one other than myself has built two working ones.

Maybe you should do what I did, leave one as standard, and do a bit of bling on the other. Even a little bit totally transforms the looks.

25psi of steam, lots of steam oil in the lubricator, let them warm thru a little to get rid of condensation, and then they should purr away like little pussycats.

They shouldn't need to run very fast as under load 300 to 400 RPM will be a fast speed, normally 100 to 200 rpm is a good running loaded speed for an engine of this size.

Bogs

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice through this build, they were all very much appreciated.

At the moment, I am thinking I will mount one engine on a plinth, possibly a bit blinged up as you suggest, John, and the other to go in a boat of some sort.

Not decided yet though.

Ian

Hey! Twin twins!
They look great, Ian. You did a fine job on both. Something to be proud of!

Dean

Ian,

Nice engines.

How large a boat will these engines fit in to?

SAM

Very well done Ian :bow: - lovely job!

Kind regards, Arnold

Very nice Ian. Two of 'em no less. :bow:

You've inspired me to include this engine in my next round of builds. The fact that Bogs did such a nice job with the plans helps immeasurably. Now that there are a few build threads on this model it's hard to go wrong.

I've taken stock of my skill levels at this point and figured I now have enough skill to learn the skills I need to make some slightly more complicated engines. I've ramped up my ambitions for the next round of engine making. I intend to build three engines simultaneously, making a part for one, then a part for the next, etc. Those engines will be this one that you have just completed, Upshur's Hit and Miss and Elmer's beam.

Again, beautiful job!

-Trout

Thanks for the comments fella's.

Trout, before I started on these engines I hadn't touched a milling machine for over 25 yrs, so it was almost a case of starting all over again.

Bogs's instructions are so good that a novice can do the engines justice. I refrain from saying 'complete novice' as a little knowledge is required in order to understand the processes.

In other words - go for it!!

Ian

Latest posts

Back